Emily Ruth's Reviews > Betraying Season

Betraying Season by Marissa Doyle

F 50x66
Jun 13, 2009

liked it

I adored the first book in this series, Bewitching Season, for its fairy-tale like magic and romance. The second book was wonderful as well (not quite as good as the first I personally thought, though I'm sure some of you will disagree). There was a bit more sexuality in Betraying Season, which turned me off a little even though they don't end up sleeping together (yes, I'm one of those that goes for the clean, good stories).
I absolutely must applaud Doyle for her research, however. Check out her blog. She knows so much about the time period she's writing in, which is the mark of a very good writer, and what will make a very successful writer.
The characters were absolutely and completely believable, as far as fantasy books can make them. Pen was sweet and likable, but also witty and clever. Niall could be weak at times, but was suave and fun.
But the circumstances of the "love" between the two seemed a little unrealistic, regarding Pen's ability and Niall's family. Definitely possible in real life, but really? Two completely gorgeous people happen to have important magical similarities and happen to fall in love on the spot and neither happens to be spoilt rotten? It's possible, but just that.
The ending was fairly predictable, and I like a good twist, so that was a bit of a let-down, though there were a couple of neat twists within the plot.
Because of that, I feel like I must give Betraying Season 3 stars, even though it was a spectacularly fun read. I recommend it if you're looking for something light, romantic, and fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betraying Season.