'Aussie Rick''s Reviews > Black Hawk Down

Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden

Jun 13, 2009

bookshelves: favourites, read-military

This is one of those great books that you can't put down; it reads like a novel, a fast paced narrative that can sometimes make you forget that it's a true life drama where real people die. I enjoyed reading this book and it's nice to see an honest appraisal of a stuffed-up mission, which was no fault of the men on the ground.

This is a well presented account of the men of the US Army Rangers and Delta Force troops involved in a mission to capture a pair of high-ranking deputies to warlord Mohamed Farrah Aidid. In the end a number of their MH-60 Black Hawk helicopters had been shot down and they were surrounded in a hostile city on the verge of being overrun. This is the sort of book that all soldiers and politicians should read for different reasons. Well done to the author and the men involved!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Hawk Down.

04/28 marked as: read

message 1: by Rod (new) - added it

Rod Hi Rick you have picked another good read here will be following you for a while you make it hard to keep pace with

'Aussie Rick' Hi Rod, it's a great read and I am sure you will really enjoy the book.

Bobby Loved this book and the movie version was much better than I thought it would be. Very accurate.

'Aussie Rick' Hi Bobby, I also love the movie and a great sound track as well! I watch it every few months, one of the better war movies in my collection.

message 5: by Bobby (last edited Apr 27, 2013 03:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bobby 'Aussie Rick' wrote: "Hi Bobby, I also love the movie and a great sound track as well! I watch it every few months, one of the better war movies in my collection."

Totally agree, Rick. That end scene of them running into camp is priceless!! Got to meet William Fichtner several years ago. Just a little guy in real life. Played SFC Sanderson.

'Aussie Rick' That's pretty cool :)

message 7: by Zane (new)

Zane This book was great it was about a squad of soldiers of the united states of America and they were sent in for a small mission in the Samalia war that was going on, it was supposed to be a pretty quick mission like a couple of hours tops, but things started going bad and a lot of them were getting wounded and so they found a place to take cover and have a rescue search team come pick them up, but they ended up staying through the night and they finally got all men still alive back to base. I thought it was a great book because it made you feel like you were there, from every wound to every tear dropped it felt like you were experiencing it everything just seemed so real. I thought this book was good because it made you see what they had to go through in there perspective, I feel bad for what they went through but I think them because they protected the united states. I would recommend this book to everyone! And I thought it wasn't a good read but a great one!