Rane's Reviews > The Viscount Who Loved Me

The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn

1987431

bookshelves: regency-napoleonic-era, keeper, historical

Viscount Anthony Bridgerton feels he’s running out of time, thinking he would die young like his father, decided to finally marry and sire an heir before his young death. When he picks out the beauty of the season, he feels everything would go smoothly, he would have a agreeable marriage with no risk to his heart….that is until he meets his intended’s older sister. Kate Sheffield will not have a well-known rake like Anthony anywhere near her sister! Doing everything in her power to prevent a marriage between the two at any means possible. As both fight a battle of wills they can’t resist the attraction that flare between and the risk it does to their hearts…

It took me a few chapters to really warm up to Anthony, I didn’t care for attitude or the way he treated Kate with one part that made me mad when they bit and kicked one another. Although no blood was shed or anyone really hurt (much how children horseplay) I just couldn’t feel anything for Anthony until he started to really open up and show not the peer façade but, the man who lost his father at a tender age and became the head of his beloved family. Growing up with a fear he may as well end up like his father. This is the man that really drew me into the story, although sometimes fear can be irrational, I could really understand and feel for him, as it took a lot to face his demons.

Kate also helped Anthony face his fears, as he did for her, Kate never backed down from Anthony and didn’t pull her punches, and while at times she did seem a little weak in the knees around him, she wasn’t alone in that matter as the spark of desire flared hot between the two as they both ended up kissing one another or more.

The couple started out at each other throats, but really grew to understand and fall in love with one another bringing out an inner strength in each other. The steam and tension was always there, but the love scenes don’t come until later and call me prudish or a romantic fangirl but I really love when the love scene is worked toward then the main leads just jumping into bed the first chapter or page.

There’s always a classic or memorable scene in each of JQ’s books and TVWLM wasn’t an exception with the crazy Pall Mall game playing out with a mallet of death and everyone out to ruin the other’s game. Kate showing Anthony she can be just as evil and sly as he. It had me laughing and re-reading the game scene a few times over.

The Bridgerton family is still a riot as they lead a helpful and not so helpful hand to the wayward couple.(Benedict and Colin eating walnuts and smashing them on the desk while Anthony had a hangover was true family love) As always the true scene stealer is the great Lady Whistledown and she always gives hints and acts sometimes as a commenter to the events unfolding with her gossip column.

Overall: a truly delightful read, with a great message of learning to conquer any fears with a love and understanding. Another amazing JQ read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Viscount Who Loved Me.

Quotes Rane Liked

Julia Quinn
“Love's about finding the one person who makes your heart complete. Who makes you a better person than you ever dreamed you could be. Its about looking in the eyes of your wife and knowing all the way to your bones that she's simply the best person you've ever known.”
Julia Quinn, The Viscount Who Loved Me

Finished Reading
June 12, 2009 – Shelved
September 13, 2009 – Shelved as: regency-napoleonic-era
September 13, 2009 –
0.0% "I didn't find it funny when \n Anthony and Kate kicked and bit each other..."
September 14, 2009 –
page 228
64.41% "Thank you Fani and Dina for keeping the faith on this book, I really have fallen in love with this book!"
September 15, 2009 –
page 376
100% "review to come"
September 15, 2009 – Shelved as: keeper
September 13, 2013 – Shelved as: historical

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Karen Glad you liked this one...you should read the 2nd Epilogue for this book. It's another Pall Mall game a few years later and it's hilarious!

Rane Karen wrote: "Glad you liked this one...you should read the 2nd Epilogue for this book. It's another Pall Mall game a few years later and it's hilarious!"

Really?? *writes that down* Thank you Karen for the heads up :D

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Great review, Rane. I totally agree with you about the timing of love scenes in a book.

Rane Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Great review, Rane. I totally agree with you about the timing of love scenes in a book."

Thank you Danielle! ^^ I thought it was romantic

message 5: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Rane!! I know you were iffy on this one at first, I'm glad it turned out to be a five star!!

Fani *loves angst* I'm so glad you liked it at last Rane! This one's in my keepers list for ever:) I love how Quinn manages to insert humor in her books but without making them light and fluffy; there's always enough emotional depth to make you deeply care for the hero and heroine.

message 7: by K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

K. Rane: Looks like my work has let up just in time, as I wouldn't have wanted to miss your read/review of this book. It's like my 2nd or 3rd favorite romance ever!! (It's one listed at my profile even!) This is the book I really fell in love with JQ's brand of romance. Everyone tends to remember the Pall Mall game, as it's LOL funny and think this book is "light," but this book actually had a LOT of serious issues it dealt with as well. I think one of the very reasons I am so caught up in this book is my own mother died at age 48 (I was barely 22 years old), suddenly, and it was pretty devastating. I really understood Anthony's thing about thinking he wouldn't live longer than his father (I felt the same about my own mother's age of death -- would I live longer?!).

Anyway, I'm so glad you loved it. One of my favorite scenes is when Anthony crawls under the library table with Kate during the thunder storm to comfort her and hold her until she got over her fear to come out. SOOOOO romantic.

Like Karen said, you should read the Second Epilogue to this book, but you may want to wait until you've read the series a little farther (if you're going to), as it does contain some spoilers for those next few books. Just FYI!

Great walk down memory lane (again!) Thanks for the review. :)
K.

message 8: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Great review Rane, I've not read any Julia Quinn, which is surprising really because our library has loads of her stuff, and you know what I'm like for library loans:),anyway I think im going to try and get hold of the first book and see how I get on.

Rane Angelc wrote: "Great review, Rane!! I know you were iffy on this one at first, I'm glad it turned out to be a five star!!"

Thanks so much Angelc! *hugs* Yeah, I happy to report this book did about face for me and really truned on to be great!

message 10: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Fani wrote: "I'm so glad you liked it at last Rane! This one's in my keepers list for ever:) I love how Quinn manages to insert humor in her books but without making them light and fluffy; there's always enough..."

Thank you Fani (and for the vote of faith to keep at the book) I agree, this book did have some lighthearted moments, but the real tender moments outshined and stood out thorough the book

message 11: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane K. wrote: "Rane: Looks like my work has let up just in time, as I wouldn't have wanted to miss your read/review of this book. It's like my 2nd or 3rd favorite romance ever!! (It's one listed at my profile e..."

Thank you K. *huggles* JQ wrote an author note in the back with her worry about some women not getting or understanding Anthony's fears, but I to had alot of close family members die at a young age, and it does something to you deep down. Overcoming that fear or any fear for that matter is something we have to go through, but with love and support from family and love ones much like Kate did for Anthony does real wonders throughout our lives.

Oh! That was just so sweet when he held her through the storm, but hearing his thoughts and how it torn at his heart when he saw her fear really just made me adore Anthony.

I'am thinking that I'll read the whole series before I hit the Second Epilogues (although the lure of a second Pall Mall game is great ;D )

Thank YOU K. for the kinds words on my review!

Daisiemae This is a great series. The Duke and I is my favorite book in it, although I did like all of the other's I've read, too!
Great review, Rane:)

message 13: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Adrienne wrote: "Great review Rane, I've not read any Julia Quinn, which is surprising really because our library has loads of her stuff, and you know what I'm like for library loans:),anyway I think im going to tr..."

Thank you Adrienne! Have I mention to you of late how jealous I'am of your libary? Mine doesn't have half the cool books yours has!
The Duke and I , What Happens in London and The The Lost Duke of Wyndham & To Catch an Heiress are great books to start off with JQ :D

message 14: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Daisiemae wrote: "This is a great series. The Duke and I is my favorite book in it, although I did like all of the other's I've read, too!
Great review, Rane:)"

Thank you Daisiemae! The Duke and I holds a speical place with me as that was the first book I read and fell in love with JQ writing ^^

Kathrynn Aw, your review brought back a lot of memories, Rane. I enjoyed this one, too. Do you know how to get to those 2nd Epilogue's on the author's Site?

message 16: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Benedict and Colin eating walnuts and smashing them on the desk while Anthony had a hangover was true family love.

I just love the way the family interacts in this series. The brothers are a hoot!

Awesome review Rane. :D

message 17: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Kathrynn wrote: "Aw, your review brought back a lot of memories, Rane. I enjoyed this one, too. Do you know how to get to those 2nd Epilogue's on the author's Site?"

Thank you Kathrynn! Oh sure!
you click on

which one you like to order
then what formart (EPUB is a good formart or PDF) and that it's ^^
I hope that helps..

message 18: by Rane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rane Tammy wrote: "Benedict and Colin eating walnuts and smashing them on the desk while Anthony had a hangover was true family love.

I just love the way the family interacts in this series. The brothers are a hoo..."

Thank you Tammy!
I adore the family and the sisters can be just as bad as the brothers!

Ronyell Awesome review Rane!! I really loved this book too!!!