Mark Wilson's Reviews > Patient Zero

Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry

liked it
bookshelves: currently-reading
Reading for the 2nd time. Most recently started January 9, 2022.

I'm a huge fan of Jonathan's books, particularly the Imura series.

The hallmarks of a good Maberry book are Great characterisation and true empathy, humour, excitement, grief and decenvy oozing from the pages.

I generally sit with a Maberry book and ignore the world until I complete it in a day.

I took two months to plough through Patient Zero and I really had to plough through the first 75%. Patient Zero displayed none of Jonathon's usual wit, passion or gusto. I couldn't connect with or care about any of the characters until the final 25% of the book, when I slowly and grudgingly began to give a shit what happened to them. The final 25% of the book was good; compared to the openeing 75% this was a relief. This upturn was mainly because Jonathon began to peel away ast his characters and give them some.....well, character. For a man so adept at this, the absence of proper, fleshed-out humans in this book, puzzled me.

I was so disappointed in Patient Zero which felt like a lurch from one action scene to the next. It didn't feel like a Maberry book at all.

Patient Zero certainly wouldn't put me off another Maberry book, Jonathon is a wonderful writer and everything a great writer should be, but this one wasn't for me and in my opnion, nowhere near his normally high standards. Jonathon's strength as a writer is his capacity to convey emotion and present characters who make you hurt for them when they fail and cheer for them when they win. C'mon big man, get the finger oot.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patient Zero.

April 19, 2013 – Started Reading