Ash's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Jun 12, 2009

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Ash by: everyone breathing (especially Cara, Val, and Tori)
Read from March 14 to 15, 2010

Oh, snap. She DID NOT just do that. This is not a cliffhanger people, this is inhumane. Like hanging on for dear life by a spider web thin thread totally butt naked (you know that makes it worse)! It's so worth it though.

Quick overview: Catching Fire starts up not far from where The Hunger Games ended. Katniss is living in the Victors Village with her family. You'd think she could finally be able to relax and live the cushy life. Well that wouldn't make a good book. There are rumors of rebellion and since Katniss and Peeta won the Hunger Games in defiance they have become the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol, particularly President Snow, is not happy with them. Now Katniss has to worry about looking as in love with Peeta as possible to quiet down the rebellion, but is that what she really wants?

It’s really hard to summarize a book when you’re afraid that everything you say will give away the twist. If you have not read the book DON’T read a whole bunch of reviews or comments! You’ll figure stuff out! Figuring out what’s going on and the twists is part of what makes this so good. You think you’ve got everything and everyone pegged only to find out that you only got half (if any) of it right.

I wasn’t sure what the second book was going to be about but now looking back I think “Of course! How else would it have worked?” The book starts off a little slow, but it’s important for what Collins is trying to set up. I love Katniss and I hate her. She frustrates me beyond belief, but you have to love her. I love how you see and know everything from Katniss's point of view. You’re just as confused and unsure as she is. It never feels like she’s not a real person. You feel just as scared for her family. You feel her confusion and doubt. You just really feel. I could probably name off a bunch of things that bothered me about the book (I think I mentioned how I HAAAATE love triangles with a burning passion) but you really care about the characters. You can't even hate Katniss's team of stylists, who are selfish Capitol dwellers. The book deals with so much more than who she’s going to end up with.

At first I really didn’t want to read it because I know how I am with these books. I get totally immersed, constantly trying to figure it all out. I can’t believe the twists in this book! The ending is just so…epic! How everything just falls into place and makes sense. You see the characters in a whole new light. And then you’re left with the whole butt-naked-spider-thread thing. I’m pretty sure it’s not good for my health, but they say the same thing about oreos and fried chicken.

So what do you read after a book like this? Well, you could look for a book that’s just as addictive and gripping as this (Yeah, good luck with that), or read a book about kittens chasing after butterflies in a open meadow. Then you’ll probably start thinking that there is a secret underground society of kitties just waiting for the right moment to emerge, and you find out that the butterflies are their spies! You see, this is the type of thinking you have after reading the book. It’s beyond epic. Until the third book finally comes out I’ll be hanging butt naked by a spider thin thread.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

03/11/2010 page 30
7.67% "I only read like two chapters and I'm already getting sucked in." 6 comments
03/16/2010 page 400
100% "WHAAAT?!?!" 7 comments
05/01/2016 marked as: read

Valerie Well it's about time!

Tori lol at the whole last paragraph. Yes Ash, it's all a conspiracy. lol And yay! You wrote it! :D
~T

message 3: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Yes, I did!

Tori :D I'm so proud.
~T

Cara I forgot to tell you that this review was awesome. Wish I would have been able to say it as well as you did. Way better than mine:D

message 6: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash It's really not Miss Numero Uno:D But thanks.

Janene Excellent review.

message 8: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Thank you!:)

Janene Reviews, such as yours, that make me smile, are rare. Thank YOU!

Kayleen Exactly! Great review!

Veronica Ok...so I'll admit. I'm about to start reading it...and as soon as you said "If you have not read the book DON’T read a whole bunch of reviews or comments! You’ll figure stuff out! Figuring out what’s going on and the twists is part of what makes this so good. " I took your advice...scrolled down here and made the comment. I expect I'll be through the book in a few days and I'll be back for more <3

message 12: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Well, thank you for actually taking my advice! This should go in the record book. No one ever listens to me:D Go read! I think it's the best in the series.

Thanks so much for the great comments guys. Makes me fell all warm and fuzzy inside. For real!:D

Veronica ok so im a fast reader i read catching fire in a day and a half and mockingjay in just a day. it was all just so gripping i dont know what to read next

message 14: by Ash (last edited Mar 13, 2011 09:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash I know! I'll be honest, I have no idea what else can live up to the intesity of these books. I've heard good stuff about the Gone series by Micheal Grant and the Knife of Never Letting Go, but I've never read them. I think I read Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver which was really good, but totally different. Good luck finding something:D

Farrah Just finished with the book and i totally faced the whole thing just like ur points of view! Nice review!!!

message 16: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Thanks:)

message 17: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Okay I was putting this book from currently reading to to-read and the page skipped down on your review... It was a hilarious...

Ashish Lakhara Agreed. This review spilled all my emotions.
The end almost let me out a gasp

Taylor Mosley I agree with everything you just said. The ending left me on the end of my seat an I really wanted to start the third book. Great review:)

message 21: by Kat (new)

Kat great review I totally agree. If anyone is still looking for a new book I recommend the Divergent trilogy the final book comes out today.

Nicole Neustadt As I was reading this book I was on the edge of my seat. I couldn't turn the pages and read it fast enough. It's crazy to say that when I sat down to read this book I never got back up until I had completely finished. I was in utter shock when I found out about this giant twist (I won't spoil it even though I'd love to talk way more about it). I just couldn't believe how clever Collins was for throwing that in there. Just when everything seemed just peachy and Katniss' life was finally going to be easy for her this happens! One more thing I'd like to ask if I am the only one that hates how cold Katniss and Peeta are to each other unless the cameras are around! Ugh! I wish Katniss would just warm up to Peeta because I honestly believe that he does really love her even though I was a bit skeptical about it or could she and Gale at least come to terms of what their relationship is. Anyways, I can't wait to see what else Miss Katniss the girl on fire will do next!!

Miquel Reina Great review Ash!

Michael Love your review Ash!

message 25: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Z Ash, wow, great review.