Heather's Reviews > The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

Jun 12, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, own-audiobook

I started out really loving this book. The storyline that is set in the past in Salem during the witch trials is wonderful. There is a lot of great information there about that event and also about colonial life in general during that period of history. I loved those parts of the story. I was also enjoying the present-day storyline as well but, unfortunately, things started to go downhill for me after about the halfway point. There were some magical elements introduced about that time and I just couldn’t buy into it. I typically love that kind of stuff, but it didn’t work for me here. It took what felt to be a more serious type of story and made it feel silly. It changed the whole feel of the book for me, which was so disappointing. The characters were pretty flat and things wrapped up a little too neatly at the end, I thought. But overall, it was a decent read. The historical element of the story really ended up saving the book for me. People interested in the Salem witch trials may find this an entertaining read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane.

June 12, 2009 – Shelved
November 10, 2009 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
September 2, 2012 – Started Reading
September 2, 2012 –
page 62
16.85% "I really like this so far. It has me intrigued. :)"
September 5, 2012 –
page 198
53.8% "I'm loving this!"
September 7, 2012 –
page 309
September 10, 2012 – Finished Reading
January 27, 2017 – Shelved as: own-audiobook

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I have this book but I have yet to pick it up and read it.. that seems to be a pattern with me I think. :) let me know if its good!!

Heather It's really good! I'm drawn to anything that has to do with the Salem witch trials. I find that whole period of history fascinating. I'd love to get my hands on a good non-fiction book about it now!