leslie nikole's Reviews > Dance Dance Dance

Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami

bookshelves: 2013

Dance, Dance, Dance - Haruki Murakami

I guess, when it comes to big cites, you've got to expect instances of six degrees of separation. Of course since this book was originally published in 1988, the degrees were a little more spaced out depending on the number of centres (be it for education, leisure, politics, etc…), but with the internet, social media, and rising density in big cities, good luck with that now. When I first picked up Murakami's Dance, Dance, Dance I didn't think much of it. I was solely filling up more of his space (read: low-key shrine) on my bookshelves, only to read it when I got the chance. Since my first Murakami novel The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, I've realized that to read most of his works, you need to be ready for the randomly unexpected. The only thing I can compare it to is being an adult dragged around an unfamiliar neighbourhood by a small child who's determined and completely sure they know where they're going. That sort of "ooookaay, I guess…" feeling. Or maybe, as I just realized, I'm reading the fourth book in "The Rat" series. Well that's annoying…

In terms of firsts, this is the first Murakami novel I've destroyed with quotations and spilled tea marks. Every few pages I found myself sectioning off quotes with my pen and dog earring the pages to remember where I left markings. At only three hundred and ninety-three pages, I probably could have finished this in a week, instead of the (well, not thirty-two consecutive days) month it took me. Dance, Dance, Dance took up a lot of my attention, but I got a lot out of it. I only wish that I would have read the three books in its series beforehand for a better understanding.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance Dance Dance.

Quotes leslie Liked

Haruki Murakami
“What we seek is some kind of compensation for what we put up with.”

Haruki Murakami
“It was spring break, so the theater was always packed with high schools students. It was an animal house. I wanted to burn the place down.”

Haruki Murakami
“Unfortunately, the clock is ticking, the hours are going by. The past increases, the future recedes. Possibilities decreasing, regrets mounting.”

Haruki Murakami
“Dance," said the Sheep Man. "Yougottadance. Aslongasthemusicplays. Yougotta dance. Don'teventhinkwhy. Starttothink, yourfeetstop. Yourfeetstop, wegetstuck. Wegetstuck, you'restuck. Sodon'tpayanymind, nomatterhowdumb. Yougottakeepthestep. Yougottalimberup. Yougottaloosenwhatyoubolteddown. Yougottauseallyougot. Weknowyou're tired, tiredandscared. Happenstoeveryone, okay? Justdon'tletyourfeetstop.”

Haruki Murakami
“Suicides? Heart attacks? The papers didn't seem interested. The world was full of ways to die, too many to cover. Newsworthy deaths had to be exceptional. Most people go unobserved.”

April 18, 2013 – Started Reading
April 18, 2013 – Shelved
April 18, 2013 –
page 10
2.54% "Maybe this will go better."
May 8, 2013 –
page 104
26.46% ""we are all connected.""
May 9, 2013 –
page 140
May 12, 2013 –
page 196
49.87% "Tootiredtodancedancedance. Needtogetsomesleep."
May 13, 2013 –
page 232
59.03% "Almost done! If anything, being sick and confined to my bed and proved pretty advantageous in the reading department..."
May 18, 2013 –