Whitney's Reviews > Gameboard of the Gods

Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead

Apr 18, 2013

liked it

First featured at Whitnage.Blogspot.com

Ok, so...I want to preface this review by saying that I adored the Vampire Academy series and so far I really like the Bloodlines spin off series. That being said, I didn't hate Gameboard, It's just very different from what I expected and Mead's regular readers should be aware before they rush out to buy the book.

Gameboard Of The Gods is set in a futuristic North America (now called RUNA) where Mae a super-soldier and Justin a disgraced former government employee are charged with investigating a murder.

As the first book in a new series, I understand the need for world building but the pace of this first book is very measured if not slow. I think that the Age of X series has a lot of potential though. The romance and mystery aspects were spot on, but for me I didn't feel as attached to the characters like I have in previous books. But to be fair, before she further developed the Sydney Sage character I felt the same way about her in the VA series. So I'm hoping that in book 2 of Age of X I'll feel less of a clinical detachment and more of an emotional attachment to the characters & story. So for now I'm going to recommend this book but with some slight reservations until the sequel comes out.

3/5 Stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gameboard of the Gods.

April 18, 2013 – Shelved