Pete daPixie's Reviews > All the President's Men

All the President's Men by Carl Bernstein

bookshelves: history-u-s

Here is one of those books that I never caught up with, having seen the Redford/Hoffman movie version. The 40th anniversary of original publication of 'All The President's Men' is almost here, and I finally catch up on Bernstein and Woodward's Pulitzer winner. Not before time, indeed!
If this plot were featured in a fictional storyline, many would be the calls that this tale is as far fetched as crap from China. Ridiculous to believe that such scandalous crimes could be contrived from the centre of democratic government. Burglary, illegal wire tapping, espionage, sabotage, bombing, CIA spooks, death threats, lies and cover-ups. The cast of characters involved was just as astounding as their crimes. Including Cuban exile burglars operated by CIA operatives. A former Secretary of Commerce. A Director of Public Affairs. Attorneys. A former Attorney General. A former Assistant Attorney General. Attorney General of the United States. Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs. Personal Attorney to the President. White House Chief of Staff. Acting Director of the FBI, and at the head of this pile, the President of the United States.
Thankfully there was to be no whitewash in the White House.
Bernstein and Woodward's detective story from the Washington Post, written in the third person, shoots off the line on June 17th 1972 and blazes a relentless trail of investigative journalism all the way to the finish line.
Forgive my insatiable distrust of our great and revered leaders, but I am left unsure of the motives behind Howard Hunt's escapade into the Watergate's foggy bottom. Just what was destroyed in those files by the Acting Director of the FBI, or for that matter, who was Deep Throat and what was his agenda?
A line from Robert Graves comes to mind. Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud, hatch out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the President's Men.

April 18, 2013 – Started Reading
April 18, 2013 – Shelved
April 18, 2013 – Shelved as: history-u-s
April 19, 2013 –
page 177
April 21, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I read this when it first came out. I remember watching the Congressional hearings. What a time. Of course now I've just lived through the most surreal week I've ever had in my life. Even living in the suburbs, we consider ourselves Bostonians. Strange, strange. And sad.

Pete daPixie Sue wrote: "I read this when it first came out. I remember watching the Congressional hearings. What a time. Of course now I've just lived through the most surreal week I've ever had in my life. Even living in..."Sure! We've kept a watch on the news all week. Sad & pointless as results of terrorism usually are.
No doubt there will emerge strange conspiracy theories in the aftermath.

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Yes indeed. Although suspect 2 was in a drug induced coma as of last night, eventually they will learn more if he survives.