Christa Seeley's Reviews > Entangled

Entangled by Amy Rose Capetta

bookshelves: 2013, own, genre-science-fiction

This review originally posted at More Than Just Magic

If there is one thing I adore it’s stories set in space. The reason for this is no mystery. It’s all because of Star Wars. I devoured the original movies as a kid. Watching them over and over again, falling asleep to my favourite scenes. Those movies had everything! Action, adventure, romance, battles, aliens, a bad ass princess. And best of all it took place in space.

There’s a lot of good YA science fiction out there but there isn’t a lot of YA set in space. So when I read about Entangled it was like my prayers were answered.

Entangled is a space adventure is every sense of the word. It’s an action packed journey across the stars and has some fascinating and unique characters (a.k.a aliens). But unlike some other sci-fi, which relies more heavily on technological, clinical writing, the prose in Entangled is gorgeous and poetic. I fell in love with some of the phrases, reading them over and over to try and imprint them in my brain. Amy Rose Capetta has a very lyrical style that is all her own. The downside to this style however is that sometimes I needed to re-read sections in order to completely understand what was happening. The more concrete details could get a little lost in the poetry of it all.

The heroine of this story is a young girl named Cade. Cade is an interesting and complex character. At first she starts out a little static. Rebel, musician, tough girl. Used to being on her own and likes it that way. But she soon becomes much more than that. Her wants and needs are extremely complex and don’t always follow a natural progression, which helps keep the reader on his/her toes. Where she was once only loyal to herself, as the story gain momentum she finds herself pulled in a number of directions, trying to balance new friends, a new mission, an entangled partner…all while still maintaining her own personality. Though readers may not be able to relate to her space travels I think many will connect with her struggled to balance her responsibilities and maintain her own identity in a world that doesn’t understand her.

Music is a huge part of Entangled. Cade is a a musician. She had played music her whole life to keep the “noise” at bay. It is what has allowed her to survive after years of being alone. I loved the way Capetta made music a part of Cade’s soul. It wasn’t just an accessory for her to carry around when convenient. It defined her. Phrases like “Cade’s body was a chant” or “With Cade’s heartbeat running triple-time…” demonstrated just how strong an impact music can have on a person. Capetta managed to create any entire musical style around Cade, without even mentioning any specific songs or notes.

Cade’s big problem (other than being alone in the world) is that she is entangled with a boy named Xan. The concept of being entangled may require you to suspend your disbelief a tad. It’s sort of scientific version of soul mates, which may make some readers cringe. It’s not very clear exactly how one is entangled, except that it occurs on the DNA level. However, I would hesitate to call Entangled a love story. Entangled and the l-word are not used interchangeably, though Cade shares a deep bond with Xan. To me it felt more like the bond between twins, rather than couples. I think the interpretation of what means to be entangled will vary from reader to reader.

Entangled was exactly the sci-fi adventure I had been looking for and then some. With beautiful prose and a fabulous lead character it is sure to find an audience. But with a unclear definition of what exactly it means to be entangled, it’s hard to say for sure who that audience will be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entangled.

April 18, 2013 – Shelved