Mounica's Reviews > Along for the Ride

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

Jun 11, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult

I really need to say something about the book cover. Before I started reading the book, I looked at the cover closely. The only thing that assured me that the person wearing the white shirt was a guy was the muscles in his arms. Other than that, I could have mistaken that as a girl, because, boy, no guy wears jeans like those. Seriously.

Anyway, I read the book, because you know the saying, “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” After I finish the book, I look at the cover again and feel my eyes playing tricks. Eli would not wear clothes like that “boy.” Wouldn’t it make so much more sense if he were in his blue hoodie? And, Auden would not wear that pink polka-dotted dress. The cover shows the exact opposite of what the two of the are supposed to be. Or was that the point? Was the cover supposed to be depicting some hidden meaning? I don’t know…I think it’s still strange. I simply can’t get over it.

Okay, enough of that. And, no, my rating is not 3 stars just because of the cover. First of all, it took me a while to get into the book. I kind of was just reading, and not caring at all about Auden’s life and her problems. The book got my attention only toward the end.

Also, I kept realizing how Auden was somewhat like Macy in Sarah Dessen’s other book, The Truth About Forever. Both of them were escaping their life and problems (Macy, her father dying, and Auden, her parents’ divorce) by studying. It was the one thing that was they were good at, because all it required was working hard. And even, Jason Talbot was in this story!

There is always Dessen’s formula people talk about. So far, I read five book by her, and I’m starting to realize how true that is, how her books follow the same formula only with different characters and their different hobbies.

I liked the humor, and I liked some of the characters like Adam and Maggie. But overall, I was actually disappointed by this book. It just didn’t live up to the mark; it wasn’t there high up with Just Listen and The Truth About Forever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Along for the Ride.

Quotes Mounica Liked

Sarah Dessen
“Who says there has to be a point?" He asked. "Or a reason. Maybe it's just something you have to do.”

Sarah Dessen
“Friends are honest with each other. Even if the truth hurts.
-Maggie”

Sarah Dessen
“Relationships dont always make sense. Especially from the outside”

Sarah Dessen
“But sometimes you lose. Nothing you can do but admit it.
-Eli”

Sarah Dessen
“Life is full of screwups. You're supposed to fail sometimes. It's a required part of the human existance.”

Sarah Dessen
“An ending was an ending. No matter how many pages of sentences and paragraphs of great stories led up to it, it would always have the last word.”

Sarah Dessen
“It shouldn't be easy to be amazing. Then everything would be. It's the things you fight for and struggle with before earning that have the greatest worth. When something's difficult to come by, you'll do that much more to make sure it's even harder―or impossible―to lose.”

Sarah Dessen
“It didn't make you noble to step away from something that wasn't working, even if you thought you were the reason for the malfunction. Especially then. It just made you a quitter. Because if you were the problem, chances were you could also be the solution. The only way to find out was to take another shot.”

Sarah Dessen
“The basic fact is that no, this isnt ideal. Very few things are. Sometimes, you have to manufacture your own history. Give fate a push,so to speak.
-Heidi”

Sarah Dessen
“You couldn't just pick and choose at will when someone depended on you, or loved you. It wasn't like a light switch, easy to turn on or off. If you were in, you were in. Out, you were out.”

message 1: by Bhumi (new) - added it

Bhumi Yes, I agree about the jeans :)

Mounica Haha :D
So, what are your favorite Sarah Dessen books?

Abby I totally agree about the cover. Itmakes NO sense whatsover.

Alyssa Your comments about the cover are hilarious.

Ebehi I think the cover is of Adam and Maggie because Auden never actually rode on Eli's handlebars but Maggie rode on Adam's

Kyla I completly agree with you about the cover! I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think that.

Natalie I totally agree about the cover. But, they're currently revamping all the covers, so hopefully this one gets a positive improvement.

Otherwise, I think that part of the reason I liked this book as much as I did was BECAUSE of the similarities to Macy. It should annoy me, but, for whatever reason, with Dessen it just doesn't.

Thank you for your honest insight!