Cora Tea Party Princess's Reviews > And When She Was Good

And When She Was Good by Laura Lippman

liked it

Although it felt that nothing happened for long stretches of this novel, when things did happen they were executed perfectly. You may think this would lead to a boring read, but And When She Was Good is far from boring.

The main character, Helen/Heloise (Hel?) seems so sure of herself for the majority of this book, and i'd be lying if I didn't admit that the ending was the best part - but that's because Hel stopped being so superior and aloof and putting everyone down. It took her being out-smarted - seriously out-smarted - to seemingly get a grip.

When it comes to other characters, they seem a little like an afterthought. Hel's father made my blood boil and I guess that's why she is how she is. He is a nasty and selfish man who quickly engendered feelings of hatred from me, as I am sure he was meant to. Hel's mother seemed quite timid and unsure - she was so in love, but with that monster? It didn't seem to fit that she could be that naive for her whole life.

Overall I thought it a good enough read. It's not one of my favourites and for being a mystery there isn't much mystery at all, but it was nevertheless enjoyable and interesting.

Drink a really expensive coffee while you read this - you know, the ones from pretentious coffee shops.

I received a copy of this for free via NetGalley for review purposes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And When She Was Good.

April 17, 2013 – Started Reading
April 17, 2013 – Shelved
April 17, 2013 –
April 18, 2013 –
April 18, 2013 –
35.0% "I can't really stand Helen/Heloise, she's so up herself, better than everyone else. But the story's interesting. Not one hint of mystery yet though."
April 19, 2013 –
52.0% "Do I detect some mystery finally creeping in? It's been a long wait!"
April 19, 2013 –
66.0% "A bit more mystery, but I don't think there's enough to classify this book as a "mystery". A little over 100 pages to go and nothing's really happened."
April 19, 2013 –
92.0% "It's nearing the end and I know something's going to happen. The tension is building and building well."
April 20, 2013 – Finished Reading