Brailynne Corr's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

19482321

bookshelves: favorites, get-the-tissues, young-adult, cancer-illness, humor-satire, contemporary

Witty, eloquent, endearing, profound-- this book gets all the good descriptive words -- but if I could sum up The Fault in Our Stars in one word, it would have to be:

Important.

John Green is one of my favorite people in the world, so naturally I adore his books. This one just might be my favorite.

The message TFiOS conveys about the resilience and underestimated intelligence of teenagers in our world today is powerful and imperative. John Green does not shy away from deeper subjects and the moving use of metaphor, despite -- rather, because of -- his primarily young readership. That says a lot.

This is more than a book about cancer that will make you cry -- even though it will. It is a thoughtful commentary on the importance of life and the significance of every little detail and interaction if we only take the time to observe.

And you know it's a John Green book when you're in tears one minute and laughing hysterically the next.

Plus, this entire book is quotable. There is probably a line in here relevant to any aspect of life.

John Green sets a high standard for contemporary literature now as well as for how we will regard "classics" in the future.

CONTENT:

Profanity: Moderate (occasional swearing)
Sexuality: Moderate (kissing, sensuality, suggested images)

This review also appears on brailynnebooks.

Quotes Brailynne Liked

John Green
“There will come a time when all of us are dead. All of us. There will come a time when there are no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything. There will be no one left to remember Aristotle or Cleopatra, let alone you. Everything that we did and built and wrote and thought and discovered will be forgotten and all of this will have been for naught. Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is millions of years away, but even if we survive the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever. There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. God knows that’s what everyone else does.”

John Green
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”

John Green
“I told Augustus the broad outline of my miracle: diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer when I was thirteen. (I didn’t tell him that the diagnosis came three months after I got my first period. Like: Congratulations! You’re a woman. Now die.)”

John Green
“And I wondered if hurdlers ever thought, you know, 'This would go faster if we just got rid of the hurdles.”

John Green
“I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.”

John Green
“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.”

John Green
“Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.”

John Green
“The real heroes anyway aren't the people doing things; the real heroes are the people NOTICING things, paying attention.”

John Green
“The marks humans leave are too often scars.”