Amy's Reviews > Outliers: The Story of Success

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

Jun 11, 2009

bookshelves: 2009, non-fiction
Read in June, 2009

Well, I will probably never be an outlier...
This book is about the things that create success.
As usual, Gladwell makes thorough and interesting arguments about the things that make a person an expert or a success. His illustrations of his ideas/findings are always fun to read, even if you don't agree with him (I probably always agree).
The things he pointed out about class are also discussed in Framework for Understanding Poverty by Ruby K Payne [which is a short and very fascinating book about the cycle of poverty:]. It is clear that lower class kids are every bit as bright as upper/middle class kids(---and deserving too) but are not provided the tools that they need to succeed. Sad but true. A chapter later on about a special school, KIPP, was truly inspirational though! If only there were more schools like this.
The only thing I wish he would have done was to provide a transition between the two parts of the book. The first chapter of the second part was such a shift, I really needed some direction at the beginning of it (the second part is titled Legacy which should be a big clue...duh). I just felt like I would have enjoyed that chapter more had I not been distracted by "where is this going" type thoughts.
Gladwell is great at introducing new information, keeping you focused on the big picture and bringing you back full circle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outliers.