C.G. Drews's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

bookshelves: dystopian, young-adult, 5-star, read-2013, sci-fi, retelling

AHHH!! So much awesome squashed into 390 pages (yes, I’m including the acknowledgements. They’re fascinating). This book played out like an epic movie in my head. I laughed. I wept (silently). And I even felt like punching a few people (no names…Kai).

I confess, it did take me two tries to finish CINDER. The library demanded it back when I was only half-way done and not in a reading-mood, and the second time I got it out, I had to wait patiently in line for my little sister to finish reading it. Plus, SCARLET was screaming to be read, so I had to chew through CINDER like my life depended on it. Maybe it was the style (third person) that I’m a bit unused to? I honestly don’t know why it’s not a 5-star review, because I can say nothing bad against the book. But I suppose, it just didn’t hit maximum-awesomeness with me (though very, very, VERY close).

Fairy tale rewrites are fascinating and Marissa Meyer has pulled off the best one I’ve ever seen. After watching the perfect blonde, opera-singer Cinderella of Disney’s cartoons, I never felt a connection to the princess who sang with birds and looked at her reflection in soap bubbles. But Cinder? Love. Her. Cyborg, greasy, mechanic, spunky, with wit that makes me laugh without fail – Cinder is one of the best female-protagonists I’ve read. She is exceptionally well written. Her dialogue with Doctor Erland is my favourite bits of the book. Hilarious and witty, I love the sarcasm.

Adri (the wicked-step-mother) made me growl. Peony (the nicer-step-sister) was cute and sweet, though self-centered. Pearl (the meaner-step-sister) drove me nuts. Doctor Erland (awesome, but slightly mean, still awesome) was the BEST. Iko (the android) I just love. And now we’ll mention Kai? I have not read such a complicated guy for a while. He was written perfectly, with wit that bounced off Cinder’s with a spark, and, wow, I could practically see his smile (as Iko would say, “Check my fan, I think I’m overheating!”). But, I admit, I wanted to punch Kai at the end. After all he stood for and said and promised, at the end of the day, he was still caught up with common superstition and notions. I wanted him to see what Cinder had done and appreciate the depths, but he – Well, we won’t spoil it, will we?

The ending screams for a sequel (good thing SCARLET is sitting right next to me). I am SO excited for this series. It is epic, so well written, with complex plot enough to keep you buzzing, with characters to die for (literally). With all it’s grease spots and metal feet, CINDER is a fantastic book that snaps clichés.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Marissa Meyer
“Imagine there was a cure, but finding it would cost you everything. It would completely ruin your life. What would you do?”

Marissa Meyer
“She was a cyborg, and she would never go to a ball.”

Marissa Meyer
“Oh, my stars! Think about Prince Kai! You could dance with Prince Kai!”
This made Cinder pause and squint into Iko’s blinding light. “Why would the prince dance with me?”
Iko’s fan hummed as she sought an answer. “Because you won’t have grease on your face this time.”

Marissa Meyer
“I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.”

Marissa Meyer
“I don't know. I don't actually remember anything from before the surgery."

His eyebrows rose, his blue eyes sucking in all the light of the room. "The cybernetic opetation?"

"No, the sex change."

The doctor's smile faltered.

"I'm joking.”

Marissa Meyer
“Cinder twisted up her lips. "Do you think it could have a virus?"
"Maybe her programming was overwhelmed by Prince Kai's uncanny hotness.”

Marissa Meyer
“Prince Kai! Check my fan, I think I'm overheating.”
tags: iko

Marissa Meyer
“Kai cleared his throat. Stood straighter. "I assume you are going to the ball?"
"I-I don't know. I mean, no. No, I'm sorry, I'm not going to the ball."
Kai drew back, confused. "Oh well... but... maybe you would change your mind? Because I am, you know."
"The prince."
"Not bragging," he said quickly. "Just a fact.”

Marissa Meyer
“We all have our weaknesses.”
“I know,” said Iko. “Mine is shoes.”

April 16, 2013 – Shelved
July 30, 2013 – Shelved as: 5-star
November 20, 2013 – Shelved as: read-2013
March 23, 2014 – Shelved as: sci-fi
March 23, 2014 – Shelved as: retelling

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Yomi This is why I have both books and lead me to read some retelling from fair-tale without the cliches scene and rip-off stereotype.Excellent series!

C.G. Drews Yomi wrote: "This is why I have both books and lead me to read some retelling from fair-tale without the cliches scene and rip-off stereotype.Excellent series!"

Yes, to that! I totally enjoyed the cyborg thing with the fairy tale. Too. Cool.

Yomi Do you read a book called "The False Prince" by Jennifer A. Nielsen?

C.G. Drews Yomi wrote: "Do you read a book called "The False Prince" by Jennifer A. Nielsen?"

No. I've never heard of it. Is it kind of like Cinder?

Yomi No, but it have fantasy and action. It's reminding me of the Hunger game.