Lee Bertsch's Reviews > Has the Church Replaced Israel?: A Theological Evaluation

Has the Church Replaced Israel? by Michael J. Vlach

liked it

I was given this book with the strong expectation that I read it and like it It is not a topic for which I have a high level of interest but I dutifully read it and found it to be a good presentation of the view that Israel has an ongoing role in the plan of God as a national political entity. The author is most often fair and respectful in presenting the other perspective that all of God's plans and promises for his people have merged and evolved into a single household of faith. After completing the book I was still left to wonder why this topic matters so much to some people. Regardless of which position one takes, when we wake up each morning to follow Jesus and serve in his name, it changes nothing about how we go about that. There is evidence in scripture of ongoing ethnic or national distinctiveness in the age to come, but the greater reality is always that spoken of in Revelation 19:7 “Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns. Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. (Revelation 19:7) The final vision is of the bride, the church, the whole household of God, in which are neither Jew nor Greek but we are all one in Christ. The author intent was to focus on the biblical texts. Another book could no doubt be written that looks at the implications of our conclusions on this topic. I have in mind some in evangelical circles, who because of their theological conclusions, tend to become cheerleaders for Israel in ways that completely overlook the fact of the nation's general agnosticism and its persecution of the church. It appears that some western Christians have more sympathy for unbelieving Jews than for our Arab Christian brothers and sisters living in the same land.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Has the Church Replaced Israel?.

April 16, 2013 – Started Reading