Jennifer's Reviews > Blood And Gold

Blood And Gold by Anne Rice

Jun 10, 2009

Read in June, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I really liked this book. Marius has always been my favorite character in the Vampire Chronicles. Sure, most folks would go with Lestat, and I probably would have a few years ago too, but Marius' story is so large and lush and sad all at once.

It was interesting to see his interactions with historical figures such as Botticelli, and to see his views on how civilization changed, from his beginnings in Gaul to 17th century life in Dresden. Thousands of years pass and he is ever the astute observer.

The ending of the book was a bit dodgy for me. Thorne (another Child of the Millennia made by Maharet) seeks him out for his life story, and he gives it willingly. And in all this time, Marius' hatred for Santino has never wavered, even though it was Santino with Pandora who freed Marius after Akasha rose to begin her slaughter. So in the end, Maharet proclaims that Marius cannot seek vengeance against Santino, but Thorne does and isn't destroyed? I would have figured she or Mekare would have wiped him out in an instant. No, she takes his eyes and binds him forever in chains made from her hair. Why? Why does he want this?

Other than that, it was a great read. Two thumbs up :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood And Gold.