Paula's Reviews > Set This House in Order

Set This House in Order by Matt Ruff

Jun 10, 2009

Read in June, 2009

A few comments:
1) I did get absorbed in the story, and with me, that counts for something.
2) It wasn't so much of a "romance" as the subtitle suggests. Thankfully, because I am not in the mood to read romance novels right now.
3) The book is about 2 people with dissociative identity disorder (formerly known as multiple personality disorder). I don't know how much of their experience is fictionalized and how much is accurate to real life. At times it seemed very believable, at other times not so much.
4) I liked the characters. And it was hard to read parts that began to go into their childhoood abuse that caused the dissociative identity disorder.
5) There was a weird twist that I never fully felt resolved with, but am also glad it didn't become a major focus of the story.
6) I bought this book in Seattle well over a year ago and just now read it.
7) Last week I left my signed copy outside after eating breakfast (outside) and it rained that day. It didn't hurt the book too much.
8) I liked 'Sewer, Gas & Electric' by this same author. I like that these two books are nothing alike. Though the far-out fictional tone of 'Sewer, Gas & Electric' makes me wonder if the dissociative identity disorder stuff is also very far-out fictionalized.
9) It was both amazing and frustrating how often the characters were in search of a payphone! Wow, 1995, I hardly remember you.

I enjoyed this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Set This House in Order.