Kelli Musser's Reviews > Brood of Bones

Brood of Bones by A.E. Marling

19428553

I stumbled upon this completely by happy accident, via Twitter...nd I'm extremely happy I did. As a lifelong fantasy reader, I found myself bereft and sad in between books from current authors I enjoyed. I decided a new author would be worth a try.

Trust me, its worth the read.

The world of the Enchantress Hiresha is at once similiar yet astonishly different from your 'standard' fantasy world. Magic in this realm cannot be used in the waking world - which puts the narcoleptic Hiresha at a distinct advantage. The fact that Enchantresses use laboratories and gemstones in their work pushes it remarkably close to the edge of science fiction, which I found a nice change.

Poor Hiresha, while incredibly powerful, finds herself lonely at times for the idea of the family she dreams of - pushed rather rudely into her face by the sudden unexplained pregnancy of every woman over 12 in her hometown of Morimound. I found it rather interesting to see how the different factions reacted to the 'divine' pregnancies, actually. Any road, Hiresha must find out what caused all of these pregnancies, and soon, or the city would be in the grip of whatever brought them about.

While some reviewers complained about Hiresha's acerbic nature, I found it rather refreshing to have a flawed heroine instead of a perfect one. Her constant questioning of herself and her sometimes brittle treatment of her servants show a deeper self-conciousness than you would expect in a fantasy heroine.

Small warning that it does get a bit bloody and brutal towards the end, but that is fairly part and parcel in good fantasy.

Also, Kudos for being a fantasy author who dares to write and exclude elves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brood of Bones.

Started Reading