tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Encyclopedia Destructica New York

Encyclopedia Destructica New York by Matteo Orsini

liked it
bookshelves: artists-books
Recommended for: people who like art-for-art's-sake

IMO, there's no such thing as a 'bad' Encyclopedia Destructica publication. They're all hand-assembled in collective settings w/ full-color printing & at least one or more artists' book touch to make them special. They release the books in series - this is the 1st book in the Coatlicue one. The front cover has a hole in it & the spine is bound w/ bright yellow duct tape. So why do I give it a 3 star rating? This is one of the slimmest publications of theirs that I've seen & while I like it there's not as much to it as I'd like. Their promotion for it explains that it "features work by artists [..:] who have recently moved to New York City and explores how their practice has changed due to relocation." That may be true but I don't see it. What I DO see are some drawings & photographs & texts w/ no explication along the lines claimed. I enjoy most of the work just for what it is but I'm not STUNNED by any of it. There aren't any Hans Bellmer's here or anything that impresses me as highly conceptual. Nonetheless, most of the work is somewhat skilled & there's a playfullness I enjoy. While it seems to be basically art-for-art's-sake there're plenty of people out there seeking exactly that - &, for them, I recommend this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Encyclopedia Destructica New York.