Leah's Reviews > Any Other Name

Any Other Name by Emma Newman

*Copy received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you Net Galley and Angry Robot Books*
*If you haven't read Between Two Thorns, don't read this review*

Ahhhh, I loved this book! This one was even better than Between Two Thorns and I adored that one! There is nothing to dislike about this series. The book covers are beautiful, the content is amazing and the author is a wonderful person. So helpful and has all the time in the world for her fans.

Any Other Name picks up where Between Two Thorns left off. Cathy is being prepared to marry William and she finally has a heart to heart with her father - something I thought would never happen. Her initial plan to escape has just been thwarted through her Mother's drugging of her and the stupor that Cathy is continuously in. It's a torturous first scene to the book; I was willing Cathy to come around and to just get right out of there! I was dreading her having to succumb to a marriage organised by the patriarchy that she so despises.

Max the arbiter and Sam are still working on sorting out the same issues from the previous book, but things have gotten much murkier. Sam's wife is in danger and they are working on finding out a way to help her. It appears that things aren't exactly what they seem in her new job in London. There are many twists, turns and revelations. Alongside this, Sam is being continuously sucked into Exilium by Lord Poppy and getting deeper and deeper into trouble as he goes. As well as this, Max is trying to sort through The Agency to discover what the murky situation is there. There is so much going on in this book!

I found Will and Cathy's marriage heartbreaking. Neither of them are married to the ideal person. Cathy is a strong independent woman with role models in the form of the Suffragettes. I absolutely love that Newman is exploring the issues of women's rights. It's amazing to see her create a new feminist figure out of Cathy as Cathy contemplates escaping or staying around to fight for the rights of women in her own world. Will is such a conflicting character. Sometimes I really, really like him and I pity him; then his patriarchal side makes an appearance and I get so cranky. Yes, he isn't as bad as the majority of the men but still. Infuriating. I'm looking forward to finding out what develops with Amelia (Will's mistress) and Cornelius in the next book!

This book is filled with action. There is murder attempts, upheaval of patriarchal structures and plenty of threats circulating amongst the characters. The world building continues to be phenomenal and the writing is beautiful. I really can't get enough of this series. In fact, my dissertation supervisor is reading it at the moment and loving it! It would be amazing if it ended up on the syllabus! I really cannot wait for the next book. Highly, highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Any Other Name.

April 14, 2013 – Shelved