Lisa's Reviews > I Am Half-Sick of Shadows

I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley

liked it
bookshelves: 2013, mystery, series, cozy-mysteries, ebook, library-check-out, flavia-deluce

While Flavia de Luce is fun, it's now a not so must read as it was in the beginning of the series. Yes, Flavia is precocious. Yes, Flavia will do battle with Daffy and Fee. Yes, Dogger will be having PTSD in the corner somewhere and the father wil be absent. There will be a murder to solve and it will require her overly sharp Sherlockian sense of deduction to solve it. Flavia is a perpetual 10 year old who runs around in intelligent hellion delight much to her family's chagrin, but to the acceptance of the local inspector.

I want Flavia, hell the whole family, to move forward - emotionally, chronologically, geographically, all the -ly words you can find. Even her interest in chemistry is seemingly lagging. Every book is _the same_. I Am Half-Sick of Shadows is no better nor no worse then the previous three titles except you may get slightly bored while reading it because you know it's the same plot, hook line and sinker, you've read three times before. Let Fee get married! Let Daffy become an actress! Explore more of Dogger's story! Explore more of Harriet's disappearance and presumed death! Something! Anything! Just move the story foreward and stop using the same plot and side stories over and over again.

Alan Bradley is technically a good if not great writer, he gets points for style and ability but loses points for style and lack of originality.

I will read book #5 and if it hasn't changed from book #4, I'm done with this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Half-Sick of Shadows.

Started Reading