bjneary's Reviews > Eleanor & Park

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

bookshelves: bullying, favorites, multicultural-fiction, romance, ya, realistic-fiction
Read 2 times. Last read April 12, 2013.

Oh what a wonderful read, I am still smiling! Thanks to Mary Eileen for recommending this book and then giving me her ARC. I just loved Park and I grew to understand and love Eleanor. Eleanor is big, awkward with bad clothes and bright red hair. She is the oldest of a very large family. Her mother makes bad choices with men and her latest stepdad is a drunk who beats his wife and when Eleanor expressed her hatred of him, her mother sent Eleanor away for a year to live with her brother and his wife. Now Eleanor and her brothers and sisters all sleep in one bedroom; there is no door on the bathroom and Eleanor doesn’t even own a toothbrush. Park comes from a family that is the opposite of Eleanor’s; always enough food, and love and support. It is Park and Eleanor who slowly, but surely find one another first through comic books, then music, then conversation. None of their relationship and then their romance is easy, but they find each other and hold on. I didn’t want to put this book down; I loved both of their voices and I especially loved how Park protected and fought for Eleanor and how he saved her through his actions and words. I want to read this book over again and again and I don’t ever say that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor & Park.

Quotes bjneary Liked

Rainbow Rowell
“I want everyone to meet you. You're my favorite person of all time.”

Rainbow Rowell
“You can be Han Solo," he said, kissing her throat. "And I'll be Boba Fett. I'll cross the sky for you.”

Rainbow Rowell
“I don't like you, Park," she said, sounding for a second like she actually meant it. "I..." - her voice nearly disappeared - "think I live for you."
He closed his eyes and pressed his head back into his pillow.
"I don't think I even breathe when we're not together," she whispered. "Which means, when I see you on Monday morning, it's been like sixty hours since I've taken a breath. That's probably why I'm so crabby, and why I snap at you. All I do when we're apart is think about you, and all I do when we're together is panic. Because every second feels so important. And because I'm so out of control, I can't help myself. I'm not even mine anymore, I'm yours, and what if you decide that you don't want me? How could you want me like I want you?"
He was quiet. He wanted everything she'd just said to be the last thing he heard. He wanted to fall asleep with 'I want you' in his ears.”

Rainbow Rowell
“Nothing before you counts," he said. "And I can't even imagine an after."

She shook her head. "Don't."

"What?"

"Don't talk about after."

"I just meant that... I want to be the last person who ever kisses you, too.... That sounds bad, like a death threat or something. What I'm trying to say is, you're it. This is it for me.”

Rainbow Rowell
“Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.”

Rainbow Rowell
“What are the chances you’d ever meet someone like that? he wondered. Someone you could love forever, someone who would forever love you back? And what did you do when that person was born half a world away? The math seemed impossible.”

Rainbow Rowell
“Holding Eleanor's hand was like holding a butterfly. Or a heartbeat. Like holding something complete, and completely alive.”

Rainbow Rowell
“I just can’t believe that life would give us to each other,’ he said, ‘and then take it back.’

‘I can,’ she said. ‘Life’s a bastard.”

Rainbow Rowell
“He made her feel like more than the sum of her parts.”

Started Reading
April 13, 2013 – Shelved as: multicultural-fiction
April 13, 2013 – Shelved as: romance
April 13, 2013 – Shelved as: ya
April 13, 2013 – Shelved as: realistic-fiction
Started Reading (Audio CD Edition)
March 12, 2014 – Finished Reading (Audio CD Edition)
March 14, 2014 – Shelved (Audio CD Edition)
March 14, 2014 – Shelved as: audiobook (Audio CD Edition)
March 14, 2014 – Shelved as: bullying (Audio CD Edition)
March 14, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites (Audio CD Edition)
March 14, 2014 – Shelved as: funny (Audio CD Edition)
March 14, 2014 – Shelved as: realistic-fiction (Audio CD Edition)
March 14, 2014 – Shelved as: romance (Audio CD Edition)
March 14, 2014 – Shelved as: the-hub-2014 (Audio CD Edition)
March 14, 2014 – Shelved as: ya (Audio CD Edition)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Just moved to the top of my to read list.

bjneary Kelly wrote: "Just moved to the top of my to read list." This book is just awesome; it is more than a love story. Families, teens, drama, it is all there and the evolution of the 2 protagonists is just so achingly awesome. Let me know what you think; I was given an ARC but I just purchased 2 for our reading teachers:)

message 3: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly I think I have an ARC at work. If not, I've ordered it for our library and happy to say it's checked out so someone else is enjoying it. I'll just have to wait my turn.

Mary I am so glad you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Khornberger I almost rented this on audio but selected The New Kids instead because we are considering it as a summer read. I am glad you liked this! I was hoping it was good

bjneary Yes and someone also said a book along the same lines that is good- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz so Ineed to read this one also. It has gotten ALA awards.

Khornberger ooh i have seen that one, too!

Tiff I loved this book! And yes read Aristotle and Dante soon! It's beautiful. These are 2 of my most favorite books that I read recently and know I will reread in the future.

bjneary Tiff, I am definitely getting Aristotle and Dante! See you Friday!

Teacherward My students and I LOVED Eleanor and Park. And she even sent us a signed copy of her book!

bjneary Teacherward wrote: "My students and I LOVED Eleanor and Park. And she even sent us a signed copy of her book!" I also listened to it and Park's voice resonates with me still.