Farnoosh Brock's Reviews > On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

On Writing by Stephen King

bookshelves: art-of-writing, memoirs

One of my FAVORITE books of all time! And my only one, quite ironically, by Mr. Stephen King.

I have never read a Stephen King book of fiction, and I picked up this book based on an extensive blog review about it. As a full time blogger and writer of a few books - one of which sells extremely well to my own surprise and delight - I LOVE writing. I don't even know why I love it so much because I studied engineering in college. I find Stephen King fascinating as a writer and a storyteller even just from reading "On Writing". I read some of the reviews here before writing my own, and especially the 2-star reviews. Someone had complained about King not sharing the secrets to his "magic" and I had to laugh. Did they expect to read this book and then apply X Y Z tricks to become like him tomorrow? Writing is hard work, and there is always resistance to accepting the truth about hard work when we listen to those who have accomplished great heights with it.

This book was brilliant and it was a page turner in every sense. While I did not want to hear about all of King's terrible childhood experiences, I am glad I did. He starts out as an autobiography and then gets more into the craft of writing. His sense of humor is brilliant. His honesty raw and pure and intense. His advice is remarkable and his discipline is inspiring. He shared more than I thought anyone in his position would and he did it in the true spirit of helping you become a better writer. He shared what works and what doesn't. He said what to do and what not do to. He also told you where to go run with your creativity and leave him the hell alone because that's the stuff you figure out on your own.

I can't recommend this book enough. I blasted through it in a few days and I am a very slow reader. I set aside 2 other reads just to get through this and I am about to go write an extensive review over at my blog, Prolific Living, on all the reasons this book rocks and why a career on writing is indeed a rewarding one.

Raw and pure honesty on writing - tough love goes a long way, thank you Mr. King!

Thank you for sharing your work, your inspiration, your motivation, and your pain and suffering as well as your joy of writing and marriage. I truly enjoyed this and will be applying a lot of your advice in my own writing life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Writing.

Quotes Farnoosh Liked

Stephen King
“Books are a uniquely portable magic.”

Stephen King
“The road to hell is paved with adverbs.”

Stephen King
“The scariest moment is always just before you start.”

Started Reading