Sarah Whisted's Reviews > Dead River

Dead River by Cyn Balog

bookshelves: books-i-own

This book had a richly dark theme that I thoroughly enjoyed. It read the way a really well done Sundance thriller film plays out and for that I loved it. Imagery like a little girl in a pink party dress whose mouth spews a constant flow of mud is disturbingly beautiful to me and, as I'm currently writing a thriller myself, inspiring as well.

If I have one complaint, it's that I wish the story was a little longer. Typically Cyn's ability to write such a great story in so few pages is something I love. I've come to appreciate being able to easily devour a book in a handful of hours in the last year. While this didn't necessarily feel rushed, I would have preferred the end to last a little longer. So that I'm not being spoilery, I'll just say that there are relationships I would have liked to see a little more detail of - between family, friends, and love interests.

I will say, though, that this tale could easily have a sequel and I'm curious if Cyn will pursue it one day. I'd definitely be interested in seeing this Mistress of Waters powers be put to use some more. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead River.

April 13, 2013 – Started Reading