Greg Strandberg's Reviews > The Magic of Recluce

The Magic of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

19382532

bookshelves: favorites, fantasy

This book is so good it's not even funny. I read it in China while teaching at a public school and it was nice to come home in the evenings and have this escape.

I thought it started out slow, at an island academy. Things picked up and I liked the skip in time. You really see some good magic system development here with how things decay with the use of magic. This is juxtaposed against a world where people build crafts.

Our hero is in this world and he does a lot of carpentry. I really enjoyed those small details and can't help but think Modesitt has muddled around in his fair share of workshops.

I always recommend this book to members in my fantasy groups. I've read the initial series up to Fall of Angels or Book 6 or whatever and they're all good. This one is the best and I look forward to reading it again soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic of Recluce.

Started Reading
September 1, 2009 – Finished Reading
April 13, 2013 – Shelved
April 24, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
June 29, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Igor (new)

Igor Ljubuncic I read Modesitt as a youngster, and didn't quite like it. Should I give him another shot? Or rather, why?
Igor

Greg Strandberg Igor wrote: "I read Modesitt as a youngster, and didn't quite like it. Should I give him another shot? Or rather, why?
Igor"

I don't know - what did you read before? I always tell people with long-series authors...give them a chance on the first book.

But if you tried this particular book before and didn't like it then I'd so oh well, just move on to something else.