Lauren Stoolfire's Reviews > The Different Girl

The Different Girl by Gordon Dahlquist

Apr 13, 2013

did not like it
bookshelves: young-adult, sci-fi

Veronika. Caroline. Isobel. Eleanor. Four identical girls (except for their hair colors) who spend their days doing the same thing in order to learn with their two adult keepers. But when May, a very different kind of girl—the lone survivor of a recent shipwreck—suddenly and mysteriously arrives on the island, an unsettling mirror is about to be held up to the life the girls have never before questioned.

You know, I think the cover is what got me on this one - that and the fact that is was only $1.99 at Ollie's...and you know the description on the dust jacket doesn't sound too bad. Turns out I only made it through the first chapter (nearly 20 pages). What is called a "stark directness and straightforward tone" on the dust jacket, I call highly tedious. It was so slow, boring, and repetitive that I gave up after only 20 pages. If that's how it opens, I wonder how the rest of it comes across... Even though it's extremely repetitive, I had a hard time remembering the characters names - good thing they were in the blurb, I guess.

I tried, but The Different Girl just isn't for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Different Girl.

April 13, 2013 – Started Reading