Sheila Rooswitha's Reviews > Kabuki, Vol. 1: Circle of Blood

361929
Sep 08, 2007

bookshelves: graphicnovels
Read in January, 2003

David Mack really made me wonder, where have I been in my previous life? Where did those precious time go? Why did I always waste such productive time to develop my skill?
As a struggling-amateur-comic artist-wannabe, this superb book was like a slap in my face. He created this divinely wonderful book as a dissertation in order to graduate from his art college, when he was still 22!!! Artistically drawn in B/W, with stunning accuracy in human anatomy, this book is like a radiant treasure before my eyes. I lost count how many times I re-read this book. Alongside his breath-taking pictures, the story itself is astonishing as well, for its noir-mood and its relentless tragedy on it.
Kabuki's the name of a young-despondent woman, who's apparently one of the 8 deadliest secret agents in Japan. I love how Mr. Mack created those characters with such elaborate details on them. Even their names are very appealing, for being an irony for their cruel and fierce outlook.
There were Scarab, Tigerlily, Ice, Siamese, Snapdragon, and Butoh. I want to describe the personalities of each characters, but it would be too long for a review, hence the lack of surprise for the new curious readers out there. OK I'll make it brief.
This book is about love, despair, grudge, and being lost. Full of metaphorical symbolisms blend with lucidity, which undoubtedly designate David Mack as one of the greatest comic artist and writer of this century.
Hehe from the review above you must be think that I am ready to join David Mack sect, if there's any :-).
Oh one more thing, my favorite scenes were the womb scene, where the little embryo of Kabuki was still growing inside her mother's womb. And the rape scene. There were no gory images, instead the brutality was depicted only by the changing facial expressions of the victim who was wallowing in agony. Brilliant!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kabuki, Vol. 1.