Jana's Reviews > Boredom

Boredom by Alberto Moravia

bookshelves: south, fiction

For the last ten years my older sister has been telling me to read this book. It’s her favourite. Is it about boredom? She gave me that look, are you stupid, obviously not. Will I be bored? She and I, well, we don’t have similar tastes.

It’s a story about 35 yr.old prick Dino, Italian dandy, who is bored out of his f*ucking mind. He is filthy rich, has a Mommy dear who loves him very much and who is paying everything for him, but he hates his Mommy, because Mommy loves money. He wants to be a painter. I mean he doesn’t really want to be a painter, but at least, with a brush he feels like he is at least doing something (although ‘doing something’ is not an imperative to him), and the truth is - he is doing nothing. He is just smoking and thinking about having sex with a glass of water, because that’s how bored he is. His boredom has a face and it’s everywhere. He is not depressed, but utterly lethargic and disgusting.

He meets intellectually inferior 17 yr.old girl, a lover from his deceased painter neighbour. And she starts milking the life, mind, sex, money and any decency that he has as a man. Screw you Dino, you prick with no spine, you so deserved that.

Now, this sounds easy and predictable, but don’t be fooled. Alberto Moravia is a magician. He is not just like that being recognized as one of the most influential Italian writers of all times. Boredom in this case is being hardcore ridiculed. For me, this book is horrible, I despise Dino, but this is the point of Boredom. Existentialism in its worst form.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boredom.

June 8, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
March 5, 2010 – Finished Reading
December 26, 2011 – Shelved as: south
September 21, 2015 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Andrew I agree with you that Dino himself is a pretty horrible person. But isn't it wonderful that Moravia was able to inspire such emotions not just in you, but in many people who read this book? That's the sign of a good book, no matter how horrible or reprehensible the protagonist.

Thanks for sharing!