Debra's Reviews > Wanderlust

Wanderlust by Skye Warren

bookshelves: dark-angsty, emotional-rollercoaster, unputdownable, standalone

"Maybe I'll let you go? Not gonna happen. You're mine. I caught you, and I'm not giving you back."

"Like Alice, I had stepped through the looking glass into a whole new world, foreign and sinister."

Dark. Twisted. Highly disturbing. Wanderlust was a captivity story that kept me enthralled the entire time I was reading it and I ended up finishing it in one day. Although the story started out as a darkly erotic thriller, along the way it turned into a much meaningful kind of love story with a powerful message. Still, for those who haven't read it yet, I should warn you that there are quite some scenes that involve non-consensual sex and other explicit content. But it certainly wasn't the darkest story I've ever read... (but maybe that's just because I've gotten so used to reading these kind of stories ;-)).

Evie has been sheltered from the outside world pretty much her entire life. With a mother that despises social contact and fears her daughter being "tainted" by all the horrible crimes in the world, Evie has spent almost every day of the past twenty years of her life being locked inside her own house. The only places she was allowed to go to were school (until her mother decided she better be homeschooled), an occasional trip to the grocery store and the library. That last place is where she found a book called: Everything you wanted to know about Niagara Falls .

This book would be her inspiration for where she wanted to go once she left the confined surroundings of her own home and decided to see the world. After her twentieth Birthday, Evie finally decides to leave the house and discover the world by herself. But when she pulls up at the first rest stop in her old beat-up Honda, she soon realizes her mother might have been right about the dangers that lurke around every corner once you step outside into the real world.

"This hadn't been on the calender. Appease kidnapper with butt sex hadn't been on my life plan, but then I'd never really had a plan. That had been the point. I had wanted to wander, to flit, and I'd flown right into a spider's web."

She meets a man named Hunter Bryant. He tries to buy her dinner, but she kindly refuses what this mysterious and dangerously handsome looking man offers.

But Evie soon learns there are some men you don't say no to...

"He was my ship in a tempestuous sea. I was the talisman he kissed before a storm. Even distracted and discontent, he always kept me close."

After her refusal, Hunter forces himself into her motel room and makes her an offer she can't refuse. Well, she could refuse but then he would force her into complying anyway. He would get what he wanted whether she wanted to or not. She decides to comply, thinking it would only be for one night. But when morning comes, Hunter decides he wants more and he kidnaps her in the back of his truck. Her plan was to see the world, travel around before reaching her final destination: Niagara Falls. That's all she ever wanted. Instead she's being forced to travel around with this dangerous and unpredictable stranger...

At first, Evie hates being captivated. She feels like she's trated one prison (the one at home with her mother) for another (the one on the road with Hunter). But true to his word, Hunter does show her the world she's always longed to see. He drives her along the places whe was planning to drive through herself and takes her to sites that she never even knew existed. In a way, he changes her life for the better and she starts feeling torn between wanting to escape him the first chance she got and wanting to stay as close to him as possible.

"I didn't know him at all, but he had touched the deepest part of me and in my own way, I had touched the deepest part of him too."

Along the way, Evie learns more about Hunter's past and what happened to him that made him the way he is now. She begins to understand his reasoning and learns to read his moodswings. They start to get along much better and even grow a strong connection through their shared feeling of being disconnected from the rest of society. They each have their own reasoning for wandering around alone in the world and together they help each other feel grounded and less lonely.

"He was the god of thunder, retreating from the world that had rejected him. I was the maiden he'd caught going over the edge, who he'd secreted away in his lair beneath the falls."

Overall, I think the author Skye Warren has done an outstanding job at creating a unique and in a way incredulous story, that still comes across as being realistic and believable too. It went from being dark and disturbing to sweet and romantic at times and it was interesting to see how both the main characters went through such a transition in their personality that made them both a better person. While Evie went from a naïve and otherwordly young girl to a strong and determined grown woman who made her own decisions, Hunter went from being a stalkerish and "slightly" creepy bad guy, to a remorseful hero with a softer and more vulnerable side, which leads to a kind of catharsis for the both of them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"I was a caterpillar, my many limbs held tight against my body, wrapped up in a cocoon. He paved the way, eased me from a small and ugly life to a beautiful one. The transition had been painful at times, but never more than it would be to leave him.

But that was the path of a butterfly - to fly away from the one who made her."

♦ 4.5 STARS. ♦

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wanderlust.

April 12, 2013 – Shelved
July 27, 2013 – Started Reading
July 27, 2013 – Finished Reading
July 28, 2013 – Shelved as: dark-angsty
July 28, 2013 – Shelved as: emotional-rollercoaster
July 28, 2013 – Shelved as: unputdownable
July 29, 2013 – Shelved as: standalone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)

message 1: by destini mia (new)

destini mia Awesome review, hun!! Your pics are GORGEOUS ♥
LOVE IT!!

Didi Great review Debra:-))) I totally agree with what you said abut it being believable, it was and very sweet to temper the naughty, lol! I loved this book.

Debra Destini wrote: "Awesome review, hun!! Your pics are GORGEOUS ♥
LOVE IT!!"

Thank you so much, hon!! ♥♥

Debra Didi wrote: "Great review Debra:-))) I totally agree with what you said abut it being believable, it was and very sweet to temper the naughty, lol! I loved this book."

Thank you, Didi!!! Haha, that it was... Glad you enjoyed this one too ;-D

message 5: by Christy (new)

Christy Wonderful review, Debra! I've been meaning to read this one for FOREVER it seems like! Hopefully I'll get to it soon :D

Katy Loves Romance ❤️ Gorgeous review Debra!! :)

message 7: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Fantastic review Debra! Loved this one!

☆ Sammy ☆彡 Fantastic review, Debra :) Adding this to my TBR!

Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞ amazing review Debra! ♥

message 10: by Kristalia (new)

Kristalia beautiufulllllll~

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥ Amazing as usual bestie! And for old times sake.... RAWR! ;)

message 12: by Susanne (new)

Susanne Wonderful review, Debra!!

message 13: by Maria (new)

Maria Jackpot!Great review!Surely reading it!:)

message 14: by Purva (new)

Purva Wonderful review, Debra :)

message 15: by Len (new) - added it

Len Fantastic review Debra, :)

message 16: by Joana (new) - added it

Joana Beautiful review hon :)
And yep, you made me curious to read it ^^

Blacky *Romance Addict* Wonderful review Debra!

message 18: by Baba (new)

Baba  Beautiful review, Debra!

Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ Beautiful review Debra, made me want to start this one!

Debra Christy wrote: "Wonderful review, Debra! I've been meaning to read this one for FOREVER it seems like! Hopefully I'll get to it soon :D"

Thank you, Christy!! Hope you'll get to it soon too, it was a really great one ;-D

Debra Katy wrote: "Gorgeous review Debra!! :)"

Thanks so much, Katy! <3

Debra Lisa wrote: "Awesome review! I loved this one!"

Thank you, Lisa!!! :-)

Debra Jen wrote: "Fantastic review Debra! Loved this one!"

Thank you, Jen!!! Glad you enjoyed this one too :-)

Debra ☆Sammy☆Smexy Bookaholic☆彡 wrote: "Fantastic review, Debra :) Adding this to my TBR!"

Thanks so much, Sammy!! :-D

Debra ♠ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ♠ wrote: "amazing review Debra! ♥"

Thank you, Sharon!!! ♥

Debra Kristalia wrote: "beautiufulllllll~"

Thanks, sweetie!! ♥

Debra Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥ wrote: "Amazing as usual bestie! And for old times sake.... RAWR! ;)"

Aww, thank you, bestie!!! RAWR right back at ya! ;-) ♥

Debra Susanne wrote: "Wonderful review, Debra!!"

Thank you, Susanne!! <3

Debra Sωαrηαηki wrote: "Jackpot!Great review!Surely reading it!:)"

Thank you so much! Hope you'll love it too ;-D

Debra Sonia ღ wrote: "Wonderful review, Debra :)"

Thank you, Sonia!!! ♥

Debra Len wrote: "Fantastic review Debra, :)"

Thanks very much, Len!! :-)

Debra Joana ♥Team Dex ♥ wrote: "Beautiful review hon :)
And yep, you made me curious to read it ^^"

Thanks so much, dear!! Yay, happy to hear that ;-D

Debra Blacky *Mistress of Doom* wrote: "Wonderful review Debra!"

Thanks a lot, Blacky!! :-)

Debra Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Beautiful review, Debra!"

Thank you, Baba!!! :-)

Debra Allison *Will never conquer her tbr list* wrote: "Lovely review Debra!"

Thanks, Allison!!! :-)

Debra Alleskelle#teamSøren**july30th wrote: "Beautiful review Debra, made me want to start this one!"

Thank you!!! Hope you'll enjoy this one too when you get to it ;-D

message 38: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Wonderful review Debra!

message 39: by Paula (new)

Paula Great review Debra! :) I still need to read this. I have it on my Kindle and keep forgetting about it.

message 40: by Liz (new)

Liz Awesome review, Debra! This book sounds very...well, strong! :) ♥

♥  Barb ♥ Fab review, Debra :D

message 42: by Anna (new)

Anna Debra !!! WOW this review is gorgeous !!!!

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Wonderful review Debra! Loved this book

Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤  Amazing review babe <3 <3

message 45: by Pam (new) - added it

Pam Beautiful review, Debra :)

Debra Paula (Romantic Book Affairs Blogspot) wrote: "Great review Debra! :) I still need to read this. I have it on my Kindle and keep forgetting about it."

Thanks, Paula!! It was like that for me too, but really glad I decided to give it a try after all... :-)

Debra Liz wrote: "Awesome review, Debra! This book sounds very...well, strong! :) ♥"

Thanks so much, Liz!!! ♥ It really was a strong and at times, overwhelming story but the sweet parts made up for it... ;-)

Debra Barb wrote: "Fab review, Debra :D"

Thanks, Barb!!! :-D

Debra Anna wrote: "Debra !!! WOW this review is gorgeous !!!!"

Thank you so much, Anna!! ♥

Debra Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Wonderful review Debra! Loved this book"

Thank you, Christine!!! Glad you enjoyed it too :-)

« previous 1