Misha's Reviews > How the Dead Live

How the Dead Live by Will Self

2205814
Jun 07, 2009

bookshelves: will-come-back-to-later-no-really

I'm reading this, I'm nearly finished with the section in which Lily is describing her own death from cancer, and I'm wondering what kind of old woman I'll be. Will I be a tragic figure, having lived a life alone and slowly watched all of my hopes and dreams waste away? That may be my greatest fear. Even scarier than sharks.

"After all of these years of being assured of my own loneliness, at last I know what it's like to be by myself."

7/6 I will pick this up again and finish it, but I'm a bit overwhelmed right now and need to de-clutter my "currently reading" list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the Dead Live.

06/07/2009 page 145
06/08/2009 page 169
41.83% "Really loving this since I picked it up again -- the beauty, the ugliness, the biting humor. Wonderful."
08/30/2010 page 218
52.0% "This isn't a page-turner of a book, isn't the kind you read for plot. But I do love being in Lily's head. She's caustic and horrid and the kind of old lady I think I want to be. I'm not sure I'll ever finish this - not sure I want to. I like being able to just dip into her consciousness from time to time and spend a little time in her suburban purgatory. It makes me appreciate my life."