Emily May's Reviews > The Seers

The Seers by Julianna Scott

bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal-uf, arc, 2013

After finishing this sequel to The Holders , I still maintain that this is a massively underrated series. It has a Harry Potter meets X-men vibe but will specifically appeal to teen girls/young women the most. The story itself is not entirely unfamiliar but Scott puts her own unique spin on paranormal boarding schools, superpowers and teen romance. It's fast-paced, funny, a little creepy at times, but certainly always entertaining and addictive. For the first time in what feels like forever, I find myself wanting a YA paranormal series to never end.

Becca returns in full-force with her sarcastic humour making the narrative sparkle on each page. In short: I like her. But I need to say more than that too. She's realistically flawed, brave without being ridiculously so, willing to fight for the ones she cares about and a perfect balance of heroine and insecure teenage girl. I have one main criticism of this series and that's that no other female character is anywhere near as developed as she is. Chloe (Becca's friend) is inoffensive but pales in comparison next to the depth of Becca's personality - something that I hope will sort itself out in the next book. And the new character of Shannon is also entirely one-dimensional. I appreciate that the rules of the magic in this book make the main players male but I'd ideally like to see more from other female characters in future.

In this sequel, the story picks up not long after we left off. I'll try my best to avoid spoilers for the first book as much as possible. The last book left us with one clue as to how Becca could defeat the power-crazy Darragh and save not only Holders but possibly the whole of humanity... Ciaran Shea. But how and if he will help still remains a mystery as Becca, Jocelyn, Alex and Cormac take a trip to Adare Manor and find themselves amid the bitchiness and pomposity of Holder aristocracy. However, Ciaran won't be easy to find and Adare Manor appears to hold some dark secrets of its own - it seems that Becca and Jocelyn might not be the only ones interested in the information they seek. The main question becomes who to trust in this race for the truth.

Sound exciting? It is!

Though, perhaps what I love most about all of this is Alex. As far as YA paranormal love interests go, he easily has to be one of the best. I mean... he blushes. He's sweet and considerate but doesn't treat Becca like a baby. The two of them support one another and - apart from a couple of mild instances to keep the tension going - they are refreshingly free from drama. Plus, I like the maturity of their relationship and the way the sexual side is handled in this book. Scott doesn't attempt to pretend teen hormones don't exist and introduces that side of their relationship gradually but realistically. They're easy to root for and easy to love because this book isn't primarily about romance and its dramatics. Love is present constantly in the background, but there are more pressing issues to deal with and the author never loses sight of this.

The ending of this book is shocking and sad but leaves a little room for hope too. I honestly don't know how certain issues are going to be resolved or if they even will be. Ms Scott is just a little bit evil - you never know what kind of hell she'll be willing to put you through.

But I can't wait to find out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seers.

April 11, 2013 – Shelved
November 26, 2013 – Started Reading
December 5, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Jess B. No way! You lucky duck!

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) I'm excited for this one!

message 3: by Reed (new)

Reed Morrison How the hell do you read so many damn books!? Like it takes me like 2-3 days to read a 300 (small) page book!

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg "It has a Harry Potter meets X-men vibe but will specifically appeal to teen girls/young women the most."

Because of this, I'm going to be looking for the first in the series. Thanks!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow! Never even heard of this series. It's on my TBR list. Thanks, Em!

message 6: by Lia (last edited Dec 06, 2013 11:07AM) (new)

Lia I second Meg. Just as I read those lines, I immediately had to go and add it to my TBR list.

message 7: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Hi, is there a cliffhanger ending to this? Haven't started the series, but am wondering if I should wait until the series is complete.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds like a good series! Adding to my TBR list

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Meg wrote: ""It has a Harry Potter meets X-men vibe but will specifically appeal to teen girls/young women the most."

Because of this, I'm going to be looking for the first in the series. Thanks!"

Same here! Gosh, HP meets X-Men?

*laughs* FINALLY!! What took 'em so long? :)

Emily May @Izzy I just find that the more I read, the faster I can read. About 5 years ago, it would take me over a week to read a 300-page book. 2-3 years ago it would have taken me 3 or 4 days. Now it typically takes 1-2, depending on how much it holds my attention.

@Shelley No, there are no cliffhangers. The story is set up nicely for future installments so you want to find out what comes next but it's also a neat ending.

message 11: by Reed (new)

Reed Morrison @Emily May Yeah! I have noticed that... A few years ago I read the first Harry Potter, and it took me like... a week :P But now that I am officially starting the series, it only will take me like 2 days! It is to short!

Jennifer Dammit I'm so jealous you've already read it!!!!!!!! Hehe

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I started reading this because of this review and OMFG I'm so glad that I did it! This is an amazing book, I'm a fan of the YA paranormal gender and this is definitely one of the gems of this gender. Thanks <3