Tina "IRead2Escape"'s Reviews > Soul Mates

Soul Mates by Sandy Wolters

bookshelves: 2013-reading-challenge, fantasy, reviewed, reviewed-per-request

Soul Mates by Sandy Wolters offered a completely different take on the typical “soul mates” story. I was afraid the future and past parts of this story would become too tangled and steal from the actual story. Boy, was I wrong. Ms. Wolters did a great job at juggling so much that could be confusing, instead making it not only understandable, but fun and exciting.

Shannon was a sweet, insightful beautiful 6 year old in 1323 Ireland. During a clan celebration she spies the chieftain’s young son. It doesn't matter that they never actually speak or that they are clearly children, there was an unexplainable connection. On her way home that very day Shandelle was killed in an accident. Although, Donovan never knew her name or that she was made for him, he spent the rest of his days searching for a missing part of him.

Shandelle and Ian are so in love you can actually feel it in the air when you are around them. Ian cannot believe his luck. He has no idea what he did to deserve such a beautiful woman, both inside and out, but he knows that he will do everything in his power to make her life a happy one. What he doesn't know is there are evil forces lurking to separate the couple and his job of keeping her safe and happy is about to get a whole lot harder.

The idea behind this story is that soul mates spend the ages searching for the other and that even when the one dies they will find the other in another life. Shannon died before her and Donovan could have any kind of relationship, yet since he saw her a piece of him was always missing. Therefore, he spent his entire life searching for that piece, not knowing what it is. A very powerful wizard finally tells Donovan that he is searching for his soul mate and that she has died many years before. However, he tells Donovan that she is many years in the future living a very happy existence with his future self and that he can help Donovan go into the future and steal the woman back. Donovan is crazed enough grab onto this opportunity. Thus, begins this story of obsession, deceit, a bit of dark magic, friendship and true love.

“My life changed that night. I became whole. I never realized a part of me had been missing before that moment.”

When I started the book I have to admit I was taken aback by the gooey love that Ian and Shandelle had. As you read on you get the idea as to why Ms. Wolters is so over the top with the love this couple shares. If you like anything even close to fantasy you’ll love this book.

*Warning: this story contains a very disturbing rape scene. It’s not the typical violent rape. It’s more mentally disturbing or at least it was for me.*

I would like to thank Sandy Wolters for the loan of this book in exchange for my honest review.

You can find this review and others at http://riverinaromantics.blogspot.com and http://tinar1121.blogspot.com.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul Mates.

April 11, 2013 – Shelved