Kathryn's Reviews > Little Red Riding Hood

Jun 07, 2009

bookshelves: fairytales-folktales-mythology
Recommended for: Chandra and Abigail--based on the illustrations alone
Read in June, 2009

Skimmed over this in a lovely little independent bookshop in Mill Valley yesterday. Gorgeous illustrations, can't wait to find a copy!!! :-)

Our library is so splendid--a copy was waiting there for me!!! I am absolutely enchanted by this little book. Can't really say why, exactly, it just grabs me. The papercut design illustrations (which resemble woodblock illustrations) are absolutely charming. I love the old-fashioned homey feel, yet the "darkness" about them, too--seems such a perfect fit for the tale of Little Red Riding Hood. Also, Wisnewski's text is pleasant--some nice word choice and embellishments that made the story more my style (I've never really been a fan of LRR). Even so, I about laughed out loud at this part--whether I was supposed to, I'm not sure:

"Once she realized she was alive and well, Grandmother forgot her little misadventure, put on her best apron and made tea and hot buttered toast with the gifts from Little Red Riding Hood's Basket"

Oh, yes, exactly what I would have done the minute I were freed from a wolf's belly, haha. Fairytale, indeed! ;->

By the way, the illustrator/author was inspired by Old Sturbridge Village in MA so that's a nice bit of nostalgia for anyone who's been there.

Chandra and Abigail, do try to find a copy!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Red Riding Hood.

Kathryn Oooh! How cute! :-)