C.J. Cherryh's Reviews > The Betrayal

The Betrayal by C.J. Cherryh

Jun 07, 2009

(Review from the author)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Betrayal.

message 1: by Ken (new)

Ken I've been a fan of yours since I read your first published novel back in the mid 1970s. I think it was the beginning of the Kesrith series. When I heard your novel Cyteen was to be published two way, one a full length Hardcover, the other into three paperbacks. For me it was an easy choice, I special ordered the hardcover from my local bookstore. It was a massive book and a detailed novel about cloning. It was a masterpiece, one of your best (right along with Downbelow Station. When I heard that it won the Hugo Award, it confirmed my thoughts.

Cyteen is not an easy book to read. But it's one of the best novels of the 1980s. The hardcover sits among the many CJ Cherryh novels near the top of my bookcase. Next to it is it's sequel Regenesis. That novel I found years later sitting in a remainders rack. It was also a first edition. Many of your novels I was able to get signed by the cover artist Don Maitz. Some day I hope to get yours alongside his.

My only question, why do your ebooks sometimes cost more than the paperback or hardcover edition?

When ebooks were first being released the publishers promised that since they were saving substantial costs (manufacturing on paper and delivery to consumers), the cost of an ebook would reflect on those costs. Perhaps it was so in the beginning, but now it appears publishers have gone back on their word. Perhaps we need one of your heroines to teach them about honor and integrity.

The cost is one of the reasons I've never purchased one of your ebooks. I do wonder who exactly benefits from their high cost. Does the author receive additional royalties? Does the editor(s)? The seller? Or does the publisher benefit?