Susi's Reviews > Thorn Queen

Thorn Queen by Richelle Mead

Jun 07, 2009

bookshelves: paranormals, magic, shifter, 2009-08

** spoiler alert ** This is the second book in the Dark Swan series and I was totally obsessed to get my hands on it. After a long wait in finally arrived at my door and I stopped all my other reading to get this one started. And I was not disappointed at all.
This book starts a few months after the first one. Kiyo moved in with Eugenie, she still fulfills her shaman duties and tries to ignore her queenish obligations. At another duty visit to the Otherworld, a baby shower which was bad enough, she discovers how her people suffer. She never thought about the consequences of turning a land into a desert- what this would mean to her people. Without water and enough to eat they all think its her way to punish them. But that's not the whole problem- gentry girls are disappearing and Eugenie can't turn her back on these problems. Kiyo is mostly busy with Maiwenn and the soon to born Child and surprisingly Dorian is helping her as much as he can.

This book is a little different from the first one. It seems more serious and troubled. Eugenie is torn between the Human and Gentry world more than ever. Which obligations are more important? Is a Human worth more than a Gentry? Is Dorian really only a player? Will Kiyo stay at her site or go back to Maiwenn? Just a few questions she ponders in this book. The whole story is fast paced and runs from one complication into the other. The characters are well drawn and shine from within. I loved the way the story unfolded itself until I reached the last 90 pages. No fun there! I don't want to spoil the book but I don't like the ending so much.
So OK I have to spoil it:
Spoiler starts here:

I hate the way she turns Kiyo down in the end. OK he's not my hero or something but she does because of everything that happened to her and seriously she hates him cuz he didn't want to kill this guy. At this point I was really disappointed. And than she jumps straight in Dorian's arms after she has been raped for a week. Seriously, does anyone believe this? And this sentence: "Make this my memory?" Oh please. At this point I was tempted to through this book wide away. But perhaps I'm just a little bit overreacting. Anyone else found this crazy?

end spoiler!!

So after all it was a good book but the end ruined it a bit. I'm curious about what will happen next.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thorn Queen.

June 7, 2009 – Shelved
June 7, 2009 – Shelved as: paranormals
June 7, 2009 – Shelved as: magic
June 7, 2009 – Shelved as: shifter
August 22, 2009 – Shelved as: 2009-08
August 22, 2009 –
page 204
42.5% "Great Book! Now I want a tequila but only with salt and lime..."
Started Reading
August 23, 2009 –
page 336
70.0% "Good book but I'm not sure what to think about the end!"
August 23, 2009 –
page 352
73.33% ""Good book but I'm not sure what to think about the end!"
August 23, 2009 – Finished Reading