Ruth's Reviews > The Rosie Project

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was very amusing and clever. The protagonist Don is definitely a clichéd version of someone with Asperger's, but I think he had to be for the purposes of the novel. He sits on the very end of the spectrum and embodies every single stereotypical attribute of an Aspie. At one point I cringed at the end of the book when he is struggling about whether he feels love or not. Not accurate for someone with Asperger's - they actually have intense emotions but are unable to express them very well. But the author redeems himself by communicating that in the end and adds a very insightful point which is that perhaps Rosie needs to also be more accepting and not expect Don to change his core being. Very much a neurodiversity message.

I absolutely LOVE Don's address to the parents of young Asperger's students. It is brilliant and very amusing.

And I knew I liked Don the moment he decided the following about Asperger's:

"I formed a provisional conclusion that most of these were simply variations in human brain function that had been inappropriately medicalised because they did not fit social norms - constructed social norms - that reflected the most common human configuration rather than the full range."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rosie Project.

April 10, 2013 – Shelved
Started Reading
April 11, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

lover-of-good-books I just received my copy from the giveaway that ended a few weeks back. I can't wait to read it.

message 2: by S Cavanaugh (new) - added it

S Cavanaugh me 2!

Lucinda Nonhebel This book is both farcical and fun. I had not laughed this much since reading 'A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian', and before that the Bridget Jones books. Anyway 'The Rosie Project' has its own special story of a love affair between two very different but highly intelligent individuals, who have such fun together. I love this book: perfect escapism! ;-)

Ruth Oh yes, I loved Short History of Tractors too!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I found and bought this book from a second hand bookshop yesterday, really looking forward to reading it. My grandson has Aspergers, top end of the spectrom verging on autism. I hope it makes me laugh!!

message 6: by Ruth (last edited Mar 22, 2014 03:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth Fred some people are offended by the book but I loved it. Can't take life too seriously.