Dan's Reviews > A Confederate General from Big Sur / Dreaming of Babylon / The Hawkline Monster

A Confederate General from Big Sur / Dreaming of Babylon / Th... by Richard Brautigan

Jun 06, 2009

bookshelves: literature, read-in-2009

This book was terrific. It is composed of three novels as the title above plainly states. I started reading the Hawkline Monster first because of the raving of a friend. I must say I was quite happy I did so. The tale was strange, supernatural and funny. It had all the hallmarks of a Brautigan novel. This novel takes a long time to get to the Hawkline Monster, plot-wise, but the journey there is one of the reasons that makes Brautigan so much fun to read.

After finishing Hawkline I proceeded to Dreaming of Babylon the middle book. This story was great but not as great as Hawkline. This story if a PI story. It reminded me of Chandler's Big Sleep except this one was much funnier. Putting crazy people in crazy situations is a good formula for Brautgan to use.

The last story was my least favorite of the three but at times one of my favorites. Some of Brautigan's individual sentences are quite lovely. It again uses the crazy people in crazy situations formula but it's setting is much different.

If I were you I would read this book. Starting front to back as normal people do might not be a bad idea. That way the greatness builds, though I had no problems reading in the reverse order.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Confederate General from Big Sur / Dreaming of Babylon / The Hawkline Monster.

June 6, 2009 – Shelved
June 6, 2009 – Shelved as: literature
page 90
14.8% "page 90 of the Hawkline Monster."
page 90
14.8% "Finished the Hawkline Monster now for the other two novels! PS The Hawkline Monster was great!"
page 90
14.8% "Finished the Hawkline Monster now for the other two novels! The Hawkline Monster was great!"
June 9, 2009 –
0.0% "Working my way through Dreaming of Babylon"
page 350
page 436
71.71% "Two down one to go. Confed General here i come."
Started Reading
June 10, 2009 – Shelved as: read-in-2009
June 10, 2009 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Parsons I enjoyed his stuff when I was in my early 20s. I'm curious to see how I feel about him 30 years later.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan That's a good question. After 10 about years I can say that I have found Brautigan to hold up better than some others like Tom Robbins.