Louise Sparrow's Reviews > Georgiana Darcy's Diary: Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice Continued

Georgiana Darcy's Diary by Anna Elliott

liked it
bookshelves: austen-challenge-2013

For the most part, I avoid sequels to Jane Austen’s works but as this one was based on Georgiana, whom we really know little about from the original book, I decided to take a chance and I’m glad I did.

The diary format works very well and Georgiana comes over as a likeable character as she introduces her family and friends. The glimpses we have into Darcy and Elizabeth’s life together are sweet and for the most part the characters are believable, certainly they are believable for a regency romance. It doesn’t stretch the imagination too far for them to be accepted as an extension to the originals while you’re reading it, but as was always going to be the case, there are one or two examples that might raise an eyebrow. Caroline Bingley’s behaviour for example.

I really liked the fact that Colonel Fitzwilliam isn’t completely untouched by his stint in the army and the way Georgiana sets out to help Anne De Burgh, it gives these characters, who were mostly secondary in Pride and Prejudice, a new life.

Georgiana appeared to know and was able to guess at a few things that I think it doubtful she would have known given the way she was brought up, but then perhaps Mrs Younge told her a few things she shouldn’t have. There was, however, nothing inappropriate in it and I like it the better for sticking to romance.

Over all it was well written and made me smile, I would recommend it to Austen fans, and anyone who likes traditional regency romances. If I have one complaint it is perhaps that it finishes too abruptly… I am aware that there is a sequel and that is no doubt the reason for it, but I would have preferred a contained novel for something like this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Georgiana Darcy's Diary.

April 10, 2013 – Shelved