Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > After Dark

After Dark by Haruki Murakami

I've been pinpointing a certain amount of my TBR list in Goodreads every month to see if I still want to read the books the version of myself ten years ago wanted to read. This month included a bunch of Murakami, which I must have added after reading my first novel by him, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

This was a short novel so I just decided to read the entire thing after trying it. It's not super memorable as a whole but has a lot of the known Murakami tropes - cats, jazz music, slight elements of surreality or fantasy. Definitely enjoyable enough to finish but if you only read one book by the author this wouldn't be my recommendation. I Ioved that it started in a Denny's, and the commentary about how time moves differently at night.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After Dark.

June 6, 2009 – Shelved
February 16, 2019 – Shelved as: around-the-world
February 16, 2019 – Shelved as: translated
February 16, 2019 – Shelved as: tbr-explode
February 16, 2019 – Shelved as: own

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Henry (new)

Henry Has the 10 years ago you got very different taste?

Jenny (Reading Envy) Henry wrote: "Has the 10 years ago you got very different taste?"
In some ways yes. I was pretty new to science fiction and fantasy (and still figuring out what I liked), still getting my feet wet in literary fiction, more interested in religion than I am now, and still a few years before I’d start digging into world lit.