Trisha Harrington's Reviews > Hushed

Hushed by Kelley York

bookshelves: teenage-characters, criminal-crime, dark, abused-characters, death, loved, tear-jerkers, na, thriller, angst, 5-stars, contemporary
Recommended for: Fans of darker romances not based on sex.

Do monsters deserve a second chance?

Wow, this book is book is a tough one. I was gripped from the beginning and although this isn't the typical romance, I loved it. This book would not be for some readers. It's dark and disturbing, it has it's brilliant points. But at the end of the day it's not in everyone's comfort zone. Mine just happens to be in my own comfort zone.

To star off, Archer, to me, wasn't the evil bad guy some may see him as. In love with his best friend and put through so much in his life, he killed for her. A lot of people would so similar in those same circumstances. I found it hard to find him good for a long time. There was a turning point for me that made my eyes open, then a second one that cemented my feelings for him.

His and Evan's relationship was rocky to say the least. I wondered if anything would come from it. It was a friendship in the beginning. But to anyone with eyes and a brain it was obvious there was something. Archer was different around Even. Even the day they met was different. He was different and I could sense the attraction there. He was bad though and didn't chase after Evan.

As the story progressed I felt less like Archer was evil and more like he was sick. (view spoiler) It was no shock to me he was messed up. His actions, though not justified, were not entirely his fault. His whole being was full of pain and torture. And I will admit, I had zero sympathy for Vivian. I hated her with a very strong passion. She was not a redeemable character for me. I consider her just as bad if not worse than the characters who were killed.

The ending was not a typical HEA. It was happy and hopeful though. It left us with something that fitted the story. I was glad it ended on Archer and Evan instead of Vivian or another character. As a reader I found myself thrilled reading this. Not for everyone, but definitely right up my street.

Highly recommend this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hushed.

Quotes Trisha Liked

Kelley York
“Everyone lets you down, it's a fact of life, Marissa told him once. The key is to know when they're doing it because they don't care enough to try not to.”
Kelley York, Hushed

September 8, 2013 – Shelved as: thriller
September 8, 2013 – Shelved as: angst
December 16, 2013 – Shelved as: 5-stars
February 27, 2014 – Shelved as: contemporary

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Bev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bev Great review Trish, and it was a wonderful book. x

Trisha Harrington Bev wrote: "Great review Trish, and it was a wonderful book. x"

It was, and thanks Bev. :)

Tina Awesome review, Trish! I'm glad you love the book. :)

Trisha Harrington Tina wrote: "Awesome review, Trish! I'm glad you love the book. :)"

Thanks Tina. Glad you liked my little review! :)

message 5: by Sala Bim (new) - added it

Sala Bim So this is actually gfy/bi?

Trisha Harrington Sala Bim wrote: "So this is actually gfy/bi?"

Sort of, yeah. It's still an amazing book, though. A bit dark for some, I would guess. :)

message 7: by Sala Bim (new) - added it

Sala Bim Ah, well I'll skip it then. :)

Trisha Harrington Sala Bim wrote: "Ah, well I'll skip it then. :)"

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra I've always wanted to read this! great review Trish!

Trisha Harrington Sandee (The Whimsical Reader) wrote: "I've always wanted to read this! great review Trish!"

Thanks, Sandee! It's an awesome book by a really great author. :D

message 11: by Sheziss (new) - added it

Sheziss Great review, Trisha! I loved Suicide Watch, I think I'll add this one :D .

Trisha Harrington Sheziss wrote: "Great review, Trisha! I loved Suicide Watch, I think I'll add this one :D ."

Thank you, Sheziss! This author is amazing and Suicide Watch is one of my favorite books ever. I hope you love this one, too! :D

message 13: by Sheziss (new) - added it

Sheziss Yes, I really liked Suicide Watch, I don't know why I didn't investigate the rest of her books. Should be remedied soon!

Trisha Harrington Sheziss wrote: "Yes, I really liked Suicide Watch, I don't know why I didn't investigate the rest of her books. Should be remedied soon!"

Awesome! I should warn you, one of her books (view spoiler) Just in case that bothers you. :)

message 15: by Sheziss (new) - added it

Sheziss Oh, which one?

Trisha Harrington Sheziss wrote: "Oh, which one?"

Made of Stars. :)

message 17: by Sheziss (new) - added it

Sheziss Ok, now I'm aware. Normally I prefer not to know, but obviously, I read the reviews, so I know. Me, ridiculous -.-' .

Trisha Harrington Sheziss wrote: "Ok, now I'm aware. Normally I prefer not to know, but obviously, I read the reviews, so I know. Me, ridiculous -.-' ."

LOL. I hope you like it anyway. It is a really great book. xD