First Second Books's Reviews > Relish: My Life in the Kitchen

Relish by Lucy Knisley

bookshelves: first-second-publications

One of the most interesting parts about publishing books with cooking in them is recipe-testing them!

(We run into people all the time who are like, 'Publishers actually make all the recipes in the cookbooks they publish to make sure they work? Are you . . . crazy?' But of course we do -- the same way that textbook publishers check all the facts that are in their textbooks. Cookbooks are one of the easiest things to mess up with accidental typos, second to math books -- if you change just one number, a whole recipe could be ruined (was that 1 or 11 tablespoons of salt?). We try our best to make sure that does not happen!)

Mostly our editor does the recipe testing in our office, but I'm pleased to say that I have so far tested three of the recipes in Relish, and they were all delicious! Lucy says that she tried to present the recipes in a format that was intuitive and allowed for creativity, and as someone continually making vegetarian substitutions in her recipes, I found that structure to be very helpful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Relish.

April 10, 2013 – Shelved
April 3, 2016 – Shelved as: first-second-publications

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Ottery (new) - added it

Ottery StCatchpole I like her art . . . this sounds like a cool book, I will totally recommend it to my library and I'll search out a copy. I love her art.

Rosa I just started reading this. I was so excited to see a graphic novel cookbook/memoir.

Annie So far I've found the book to be a perfect balance between a graphic NOVEL & a graphic COOKBOOK. What a novel concept!
Most of the recipes thus far, intuitively seem that they would come out just fine! With the exception of just a couple, they just sound good. No reason they shouldn't work! ;~.}