Robyn's Reviews > The Best American Travel Writing 2007

The Best American Travel Writing 2007 by Susan Orlean

Jun 06, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2009

I appreciated this collection because just as it introduced me to authors I wouldn't have normally sought out, it introduced me to places I wouldn't have wanted to read about / travel to. But, I had a hard time really liking this book as a whole. I think it was tough to read this as a collection of 'travel writing' because the topics and pieces didn't match what I expect from 'travel writing'. I'd hardly call some of the entries travel essays..or even travel related stories, apart from the point that they occurred somewhere else. It was a stretch for me to get that the stories were more a byproduct of taking a trip somewhere - for a purpose other than traveling - rather than traveling for the sake of traveling.

In the introduction to this collection the editor said that she didn't have a category or 'type' of essay that she targeted or included, but to me she seemed consistent in choosing authors capable of seeing the beauty in odd (and probably ugly) locations. I needed some variety.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best American Travel Writing 2007.