Sara Peterson-davis's Reviews > Rasputin's Daughter

Rasputin's Daughter by Robert Alexander

F 50x66
Jun 06, 2009

liked it

I really wanted to like this book, especially when I got to the end and the epilogue alluded to the fact that the storyline was taken from confessions found in a revolution-era report. I just couldn't like it though. The characters lacked depth and the plot, which should have held more than its share of political intrigue, was as gray as a Russian winter.

I wanted to be on the edge of my seat as the book's heroine, Maria Rasputin, went sulking through the streets of Petrograd trying to uncover clues to her father's true nature and the political forces that threatened his life. Unfortunately, I just never felt like she was truly in danger, or that her father, the notorious Russian monk who held sway over the Czar and his family, was all that interesting.

The jack-in-the box romance between Maria and the mysterious, Sasha, was the least plausible part of the book. This guy just keeps popping up and he's so in love with her from the start. Yeah right.

There is so little historical background in this book, when the author introduces historical characters I had absolutely no idea who they were or why they were important. Then they disappeared and either didn't return or were brought up so much later in the story, I had forgotten who they were.

Maria is such a twit throughout much of the book, it's erodes her character's believe-ability in the end chapters when she emerges as a strong woman who stands up to the Bolsheviks.

The epilogue tells about how later Maria Rasputin married an army officer with a shady past, has a daughter, escapes Russia, moves to the United States and becomes a lion tamer. Now that's a story I want to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rasputin's Daughter.