Leslie's Reviews > William The Watchcat

William The Watchcat by Peggy Mann

Jun 05, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: children-s-lit, early-readers

This was the first book I ever owned although the memory of it is a shameful one. At our first grade Christmas party this was what my mom chose for me to give for the gift exchange. We both thought it was great. (That's probably the last thing we ever agreed upon)
Sadly, the little girl I traded with brought a checkers set. I hated games, still do (except Scrabble). All my dreams of Christmas joy were ruined. The other girl felt just as shocked and disillusioned with the book I gave her. We both behaved badly...cried and bemoaned our spoiled Christmas loudly. Finally, the teacher decided we should both just keep the gifts we meant to give. The sun cleared. I sniffed, dried my tears and couldn't believe my good fortune. I quickly snatched William the Watchcat and disappeared into a corner to enjoy it before the horrid little twit could disagree.
Now I'm all grown up and would give my child a smack on the butt if he behaved so rudely. Sigh, but I loved that book and memorized it in just a few days. And you know what, I still hate checkers.
Anyway, it's a cute little beginner reader book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read William The Watchcat.