Mandy's Reviews > Eat, Pray, Love

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Sep 07, 2007

Recommended for: women, people seeking spiritual growth

I loved this book. A memoir, Elizabeth Gilbert goes through a messy divorce and decides to take a year long self-guided tour of three countries: Italy, India and Indonesia. Once she selected these three countries, she realizes that all begin with the letter "I" and ironically this is perfect for the self-awareness and self-love she hopes to gain from this trip.

Luckily, she's given an advance on the book she's planning to write while on her journey, so she's able to thoroughly relax and enjoy each culture. Spending 4 months in each place, Elizabeth experiences the romance and pasta of Italy, discusses the agony and ectstasy of living a simple life on an ashram in India, and the immerses the reader in the beauty of Bali, Indonesia.

The three themes of Eat Pray Love are evident throughout. Whether her description of the food, the portrayal of her various relationships, or the inner dialogue of her prayers, the reader becomes intimately close to Elizabeth, and begins to fully understand the growth she experiences on this year long journey.

This book was fantastic, and the dog-eared pages I've re-read numerous times are indicative of how much I loved it. I was going to lend it to my sister, but I know I'll never see it again if I do, so I guess I'll just have to buy her a copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, Pray, Love.