Steph (Reviewer X)'s Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

bookshelves: best-of-2009, all-time-favorites, blog-already-read
Recommended for: I would recommend this series to anyone.

Scholastic is begging people not to give spoilers, and that wouldn't be my review style anyway, so if you're looking for what happens, you won't find it here.

Much like the first book, you get hooked pretty much instantly. I was getting a bit restless, however, by page 100 or so because the stellar plotting from the first book just wasn't as prominent. Make no mistake, stuff happens on every page, but it wasn't like the first one where each chapter ended in a cliffhanger and you quite literally could NOT put it down even for a bathroom break.

And then. Page 173 happened and in what I think is the biggest plot twist we've seen yet in the series. (And we've seen many. I'm telling ya, y'all, if you don't sit up and go like, "WHAT? Suzanne Collins, you're a GENIUS" when you get to that page, I'll eat my foot.)

So anyway, any doubts I may have had were completely erased by that point. It's not that I hated everything leading up to it - I quite liked it, in fact - but it just seemed to lack the...spark and immediacy found in The Hunger Games, if you know what I mean.

It hasn't. I think I still like the first book better because that's usually the way things go, but this is a very close contender. As for 'sophomore slumps' or 'doomed sequels' or any such stereotypes, this one breaks 'em. It is GOOD, y'all.

And you're getting no more out of me for now. Enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

Started Reading
June 5, 2009 – Shelved
June 5, 2009 – Shelved as: best-of-2009
June 5, 2009 – Shelved as: all-time-favorites
June 5, 2009 – Shelved as: blog-already-read
June 5, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Margaret Stohl
aargh. seriously. aargh. i can't take the wait much longer...

Leah  (Simply Nerdy Book Reviews) ohmigod, steph! yer killin me! i NEED this book. i will eat my iPod headphones for it--i got a new pair anyways. but seriously. i have entered like all of the contests, but i really dont think im going to get it:(

Leah  (Simply Nerdy Book Reviews) Margaret wrote: "
aargh. seriously. aargh. i can't take the wait much longer..."

i tiz agreeing!

Maya Ganesan Grr. I really wish you'd be able to tell us SOMETHING about the book. ANYTHING. (Other than what page the major plot twist occurs on.) I want this book so. bad.

Steph (Reviewer X) I wish I could, I really do! But I can't. I don't wanna antagonize anyone over at Scholastic.

Maya Ganesan I know, I know... :) *sigh* Only three more months.

Annabelle Just another reminder that I need to start this series ASAP. Thank you! :)

Stacey How did you get a copy already!

Hannah "And then. Page 173 happened "
Yah, Suzanne Collins is brilliant. I've wanted to throw copies of her books across the room before( in a good way!) or dance with excitement. Genius writing. Pure genius.
And I hate you for writing a review like this when I have to wait 2 1/2 more months to get my hands on the tome. Just makes me more insanely excited.

Lenore Appelhans Just read this yesterday (finally) and I COULD NOT BELIEVE page 173! I was like ... How can Suzanne DO this?!! Genious!

Grace I agree with your review. The first 3/4 of the book did not have the urgency (or emotional level) of the first book. The last 3/4 is great, but I too was getting restless getting there. Can't wait for the last book, though.

debsterchen Oh thanks so much for your review. I am on page 110 or so and I stopped reading for the night last night with your same thoughts - liking the book so far but wondering if the story was going to pick up! Now I am eager to keep reading tonight to get to page 173.