Julia's Reviews > Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously

Jun 05, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: 2009-list
Read in June, 2009

The Julie/Julia project was the first blog I really read, thanks to Amanda Hesser's NYT article, way back in 2003. Julie Powell's blog introduced me to the possibilities of blogs - their limitless capacity for irreverance, how a project could really keep things focused, the world of the commentbox and what it added to the discussion. I liked some of it and some of it - her constant cursing - I did not. (What can I say, I live in a country where calling someone a cow is a serious insult, I'm way out of practice.) But her blog stirred me up with the idea of old fashioned, buttery cooking and for Christmas that year I asked for, and brought home, the first volume of MthAofC.

But about the book: I avoided it for a bit. I'd read the reviews, and most seemed to suggest the blog was better. Last weekend though, I decided to give it a go. Hey, my name is Julia too! I sort of like carrying a book around with my name on it. I read it in a day or two and decided that for a book born from a blog it isn't bad. In fact, I really liked the last half, when both her writing and her mayonnaise start to coalesce, and I think Julie Powell has what it takes to be a long feature writer. Or maybe a Julia Childs biographer. Seriously. Some of my favorite excerpts were the glances into Julia and Paul Child's lives, stories which definitely did not get into My Life in France.

And it is a book about a story that doesn't have an ending, quite my favorite type, and absolutely blog-like. Keeping in the spirit of things, I took notes of favorite recipes and posted them to our MthAofC, ready for my next free weekend when I'll pick up the mantle (or is that spatula?) and try my hand at them too. Yum, and bon appetit!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie and Julia.

Diane Thank you for the review! I too have avoided this book for a while--not really sure why--but I plan to pick it up over the summer.

Julia I hope you like it! I think the end did justify the experience for me and having read her blog I really wanted to see how she'd turned it into a book.

Speaking of blogs, have you guys moved yet? And will you change the name of your blog? I'm a fan, so do keep me posted!

Laura Great review, Julia, especially interesting since you and I made our connection through our blogs! I echo your sentiments about the book.