Katie's Reviews > From Dead to Worse

From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris

Jun 04, 2009

bookshelves: borrowed-from-the-library, series, vampire, fluff
Read in July, 2009

There was a lot going on in this book, but I like when there are a lot of threads to work with, especially in a series when I know there are more books coming to flesh them out. I felt like we really got an inside look at Sookie more in this one & I am loving her friendship with Amelia (which I will admit I thought was just one of the dead end threads Ms. Harris so often weaves into these stories.)

I liked the other plots of this one, too: the Were war, the Vampire takeover, and Eric slowly coming back into the picture. Some things, I'm not sure how I feel about or thought she maybe went a little overboard throwing too many threads in one story: the appearance of Niall and Hunter (although I like that we are getting to who Sookie is with the family stuff), the nonsense with Jason at the end, the never-ending resurgence of all things Debbie Pelt.

I have one beef with Ms. Harris though, in that I feel like she sets up these great big battles (like the Vamp takeover for example) but when we get to the climax, it is a quick resolution. I want a little slashing & fighting & blood (hello, it's about vampires!!) I feel really let down when we get to the big moments. I guess I like my books like I like my movies: give me twists & turns, a little love interest, build me up the the "finale" and give me a good chunk of action before wrapping me up and sending me home with a little tease so I'm anxious for a sequel.

Other than that, this was definitely one of my favorite books of the series. I'm very curious to see what comes next & I don't think I've felt that in the past five books:)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Dead to Worse.

06/27/2009 page 64