C.G. Drews's Reviews > How to Lead a Life of Crime

How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2013, thriller-crime, young-adult, read-2013, ya-male-narrators

Oh. My. Gosh. I can’t give this book enough stars!! I’m totally shellshocked. This review will be a buzz of incoherent warbles about how much I ADORE this book. You have been warned.

Where do I start?! The writing was AWESOME. The characters were AWESOME. And the story was. so. freaking. AWESOME. I’m just…AHHHH. The feels. The complexities. Can I rate it higher then 5 stars? Please?

I’ll start with the writing and the plot. Both were epic. I’m always over-the-moon when I find a book I love with really, really good writing. My only negativity is the amount of tense swapping. Sometimes I really didn’t think it fit. Other then that, it was beautiful. The prose swung from page the page. The balance of action to backstory to narrative to dialogue was perfect. If I had to quote a book for exceptional writing style and voice, this would be it. As for the plot? The twists kept me on my toes. It was complex, but not confusing. THIS BOOK NEEDS TO BE A MOVIE.

Characters. I want to hug all the characters! (Only, they’d…well, kill me. But still.) They are SO well written. It’s narrated by Flick (that’s not his name, though. I know his name, but you wont’ until the end…Ha ha to you!). Flick is a complicated fellow. He’s been abused and mistreated by his father, and he’s witnessed enough horror to kill a person. He’s fueled on hate and revenge, but doesn’t want to be because he refuses to be like his father. I was just gobsmacked at how well he was written. At times I thought his character would slack off, especially when Joi was on the scene. But he my favourite character (though I simultaneously loved and wanted to bash him).

The other characters? Just WOW. Everyone from the villains to the people who barely get a name were all detailed with minuet precision. They were real people. Of course, then there’s Joi. She’s a do-good person, living in the slums and trying to help out people. Well, that’s what she lets YOU think. You can’t describe Joi. Flick tries, but all he gets is she smells like “jasmine and cocoa butter” and that’s really perfect. Although, my only question is: how did she stills smell like jasmine and cocoa butter when she was living in the academy and obviously had no access to nice smelling body lotions? Come on. Reality strikes every single paragraph of his story EXCEPT for that bit.

And then there’s Peter Pan. Jude. Juuuuuude (wails quietly). I can’t help but love that kid, even though he was dead the entire book. He saved Flick. On multiple levels. I loved how he was Peter Pan and how he was simultaneously Flicks savior, life, and breaking point – and also mental breakdown. Every scene with Jude was powerful.

Basically, the entire book was awesome. I would rave about it all day. Sure it’s violent and gritty and sad and desperate and horrible. But the title kind of indicates that, right? My gosh. All I can think is: if every book was as powerful as this one, I’d get nothing done because I’d just read my whole life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Lead a Life of Crime.

April 8, 2013 – Shelved
September 5, 2013 – Started Reading
September 5, 2013 –
page 149
34.33% "This. is. awesome."
September 11, 2013 – Shelved as: 5-star
September 11, 2013 – Shelved as: best-of-2013
September 11, 2013 – Shelved as: thriller-crime
September 11, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult
September 11, 2013 – Finished Reading
November 20, 2013 – Shelved as: read-2013
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Jamie :) (new) - added it

Jamie :) OMG!! This book looks flat out AMAZING! Why have I not heard of this!?! Thank god you introduced this to me. Definitely adding this to my need to read now list!